This is how the baskets looked yesterday - 20th March:
I had thought I'd make 20 blocks but, when I had made 20, there were still so many bits and pieces left, I decided to keep going until I had used them all up. I didn't quite use them all up, there were still some strips left but I decided that 40 blocks - enough for 2 quilt tops - was enough to be going on with ... for now!
Not only were there a few strips left, but also some shapes - circles, drunkard's paths and tumblers - which I decided to leave for another project on another day.
I was pondering how to put the blocks together - I want to put some sort of plain colour around them. I decided I'd use navy blue as I had a navy sheet in my stash which would do the job perfectly. Then I came up with the idea of doing the quilt as you go (QAYG) method to quilt these. What that means is I'd only be quilting 12½" squares and not a big quilt. I've used the QYAG method a few times before (here's one and here's another) and was very happy with the outcome and let's face it, quilting 12½" squares is much easier (for me) than quilting a 62½" by 50" quilt!
Anyway, that decided, I got to thinking about what I'd use on the back and had a brainwave - or was it a crazy idea?? - to use some of my massive collection of 4½" squares. I'd need 9 per block so for 40 blocks, I'd need 360. Totally do-able!
Today I got started sewing them together. At this moment, they're in rows of 3 just waiting to have their seams pressed to one side.
Next job is to make them into 9 patches and start quilting the blocks. I'm quite looking forward to that - mind you, after doing 40 of them, I can imagine I'll be well and truly sick of them!
Finally, I think it would be remiss of me to not say anything about what we're *all* facing just now. Please stay safe. Stay away from people - staying away from my wee girlies has to be the hardest thing for me to do but I will do it for their (and my own) safety! Be sensible. Wash. Your. Hands!