Tuesday, 6 December 2022

November's makes

Not nearly as many makes this month but a couple of the things I made took considerable thinking and figuring out! The first was my tree wallhanging. I saw the idea on this youtube video. I liked the idea of it but I didn't have the ruler that was needed to make it. I went searching for it and, to my dismay, could only find it on US sites. Not too bad but it cost something like £15 and the postage was something like £16! Good grief!

Now, I'm the first to admit that I have a LOT of quilting rulers but, if you use them all, why is that a bad thing? It's not! So, I dug through my collection and, sure enough, there was one with the same angles but mine was much shorter. No worries, said I to myself. You're a Maths teacher - or was! - and can figure it out for yourself! So I did. It took me a good few days and a good few attempts to get it right but I did it. This was my prototype:

And this is the final wallhanging. I *LOVE* it!

I was so pleased with it that I hung it up right away in the hall where it will stay until the decorations come down after Christmas.

The next thing I made was the head of a hobby horse for Isla's Christmas.

It's been sent on its journey to Canada with the instructions for mummy (and daddy) for how to finish it off. No way could I include the piece of wood for Isla to be able to ride it!

The pattern I used is this one. I made it for both my girls for Christmas 2000. Yes, they were grown-ups (aged 20 and 18) at the time but they loved them!

I made some more drawstring bags for the girls. Two have been sent already and the other two will go when there's room in a box!

Next, I wanted to make the girlies' dollies a cape each. I didn't have a pattern but had a look on Pinterest and found one I thought might work. The next day, when I looked at what I had downloaded, I realised I only had the front and the hood so back I went to find the pattern for the back. Well, imagine my hilarity when the back pattern had "cape for Barbie" written on it! Well, that wouldn't fit Grace by any stretch of the imagination!

So that started a good few days' worth of work trying to figure out how to make a cape that would fit Grace and, more to the point, would go over her hair! I eventually managed it - quite a few prototypes were made and discarded. Anyway, here are the finished capes. Grace loves them and she's positive Emily's and Isla's dollies will love them too!

The last thing I had to make before the Christmas box was sent to Canada was the girls' ornaments for their tree. This design is one I got from Embroidery Library shown here. It was made in grey felt on the pattern but I didn't have any grey so I used white instead. To be honest, I think it looks much better in white!

When Joanna saw them she threatened to steal them so I made one for her too!

There are other things I've made this month that can't be shown until later in the year so that'll do for now!

9 comments:

  1. Well I love everything in this post. The wall hanging is fabulous and that's another one which I wouldn't be able to put away when the decorations are taken down. How I'd have loved that hobby horse as a child. I remember having one with a head made from one of my dad's old socks, haha. Awww, those little doggies for the tree are so cute with collars adorned with holly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I haven't quite made up my mind if the tree hanging will get put away or not. It's not all Christmas fabrics so I could easily leave it out all the time! 🎄

      Delete
  2. I feel a bit sorry for Grace - she gets to try on all these awesome clothes and then never gets to keep them!
    And thank you for my Scottie ornament. I wondered if your comment made me look mean - planning to steal from young children. Then I realised it's the truth so there's that! LOL! 🤣🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Grace always gets to try on whatever I make but then she has to watch it get packed into boxes destined for far away. Maybe I should make her a whole wardrobe of stuff!
      And you were going to steal from young children! 🤣

      Delete
    2. By the way, why are you anonymous??

      Delete
  3. Love the Tree Hanging and the wee Dogs, especially the holly on their collars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! Those wee doggies are so cute!

      Delete
  4. I love all your makes but the wee doggies are so cute. I think I have time to make one for our tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lyndsey. The wee doggies really didn't take long to make. I didn't stuff them - just used the embroidery thread in my sewing machine to sew them shut.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)