A few years ago, I asked my cousin if she would send me Auntie Mary's recipe book so I could copy them all and she was kind enough to do that. Douglas scanned the recipes for me and I then printed them all out. It's a great source of memories both of recipes but also of Auntie Mary - a lot of the recipes are in her hand-writing. :o)
Almond Biscuits - makes about 24
200g/7 oz butter
90g/3¼ oz caster sugar
½ tsp almond extract
280g/10 oz SR flour
25g/1 oz ground almonds
glacé cherries for decoration
Heat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/GM 4.
1. Put the butter in a large saucepan and slowly melt.
2. Take off the heat then add the sugar & almond extract and stir together.
3. Add the flour and ground almonds and mix to a smooth dough.
4. Roll into small balls and put on to baking trays spaced well apart.
5. Flatten the tops with your hands (or a wet fork or tattie masher).
6. Top each biscuit with half a glacé cherry.
7. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
8. Leave on the baking tray for 2 or 3 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
9. Eat. :oD
As you can see from the photo, the outside edges of mine got slightly browner than they should have done. It didn't make any difference to the taste - they were still delicious! :o)
I remember biscuits like that from my childhood!
ReplyDeleteMaybe it was the same recipe! :oD
DeleteAnd they were delicious! :D
ReplyDeleteYes, they were! :o)
DeleteI'm going to give these a try. My OH and daughter would love the almond favour.
ReplyDeleteAli xx
I'm sure they'll like these biscuits then. :o)
DeleteThey look delicious, I may have to give them a go. Thank you for taking up the Blog Hop baton, I enjoyed reading your answers to the questions.
ReplyDeleteThanks for picking me, Jo. It was harder than I thought it would be! :o)
Delete