Friday, 1 April 2022

a bag, spex cases and a quilt

I played around with the leather bits I showed back in my January makes post. I wanted to make myself a bag so I sewed them on to a piece of calico to help keep them stable. As it's leather, I didn't need to turn under the edges - thankfully! I tried to keep the amount of overlapped leather to a maximum of 2 pieces as the sewing machine didn't much care for more than 2 layers.

I made 2 pieces the same size:

Then I sewed them together to make my bag. I am sooooo happy with the way it turned out.

I made myself some new spex cases. I don't need three - the first one I made was a bit smaller than I meant it to be so the spex were a really tight fit. It's not a problem as the spex I use for cross-stitching are smaller than my normal spex so the new case fits those perfectly!

I finished the Supernova top. I wasn't totally happy with it. Can you see why?

Here's an arrow pointing to the mistake! That star's legs are definitely not right! Woops!

I also wasn't happy with the way the white legs of the big stars just got cut off (see at Douglas's right slipper for an example of what I mean) so I decided I would finish those off. Then after doing that, I decided I needed another outer row to make the star "float" - it wouldn't just end at the outside of the quilt top. Clear as mud? I know!

This is what it looks like now.

I then pinned it to the bump and backing ready for quilting - a mammoth task on an ordinary sewing machine.

I've started the quilting but have to take it a little at a time as it's a big quilt to move around - 76" square. I'll get there and, when it's finally done, I am absolutely certain it'll be FAB-U-LOUS! (if I do say so myself! LOL)

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow, some beautiful makes. I absolutely love your bag, how clever, and such pretty lining too. I would never have spotted the mistake in the Supernova, nor would I have though about such things as cutting off the star, I didn't even think it looked odd once you'd pointed it out but goodness me, what a difference it looks now, you've certainly got an eye for these things and know how to improve a design, it's beautiful. I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo! It's been a *lot* of work but it will definitely be worth it when it's finished.

      Delete
  2. I knew there was something not right with the SuperNova, but even when you pointed it out, it still took a while to sink in. It does look better now that it floats. Love the bag too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. Yes, it took a while for me to see what was wrong with the star's legs but, once I did, I couldn't unsee it so I had to fix it!

      Delete
  3. All lovely. I admit that I thought the answer to the statement "I wasn't totally happy with it. Can you see why?" was - "because someone is standing on the damn thing"! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus I love the strawberry fabric. 🍓

      Delete
    2. Yes, dad's feet seem to appear in my photos way too often! LOL

      I think the strawberry fabric was left over from a blouse I made you many years ago so that's probably why you like it! 😊

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)