Saturday, 9 January 2010

so hexagonally excited!

With help from the tutorial by Lucy on attic24, I learned how to crochet hexagons. I was so excited to be able to crochet something other than a granny square that I didn't stop at one. Before I knew it, I'd made 30 of them.

This afternoon, I decided to put them together to see how they looked. I didn't use Lucy's method of joining them as I'd already finished each hexagon - Lucy joins them up as she does the final round. (Can it be called a "round" if it's hexagonal?)

Anyway, I joined them by putting the hexagons right sides together and slip-stitching in the gaps and doing 3 chain in between each slip-stitch. If you don't crochet, that will mean diddly squat but that's okay. :o)

So here's what I've got so far. I LOVE IT!!



As Douglas pointed out, it's not all joined up. As I explained to him, if I make one more hexagon and put it into the space at the bottom right, I can join 3 sides at once. Much better to do 3 at once than one at a time. I don't think he knew what I was talking about - but that's okay as well! :o)

Since I took this photo, I've made another 7 hexagons. I know I have a lot more to make before the blankie is big enough to do anything with but I'm so excited by these little colourfulnesses that I don't think that will be a chore.

I'll keep you posted as the blankie grows. :o)

5 comments:

  1. That is so cool. I am NOT handy like that but I love to snuggle under crocheted blankets. I don't have a hexagon one though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Anne! Now you need more snow so you can cuddle up under it LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Anne, I am a big fan of crochet and those hexagons look so cheery!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)