Sunday, 21 January 2018

I have decided ...

After a lot of thought, I have decided to take a break from blogging. There's nothing wrong, I'm just a bit bored with it, to be honest. I don't know how long the break will be - I suppose we'll all find out together!

So, in the meantime, look after yourselves. :o)

Tuesday, 9 January 2018

quite a bit!

There's been quite a bit of sewing going on around these parts. Mind you, there usually is!! :oD

I made another oven glove to match the one I "designed" last week. I put the hanger of this one on the long side so it won't get in the way when the gloves are in use. I unpicked the hanger on the original one and moved it too.

Then I made another pair ... just because I could.

I had some of the orange fabric I'd used for the bias binding on those gloves left so I used it to make some more bias.

Then I cut up some other small pieces of fabric and made some more. I wasn't paying attention when I cut the two red stripey pieces and managed to get the stripes facing the opposite directions! No harm done - it'll still get used.

Remember the denim skirt I made for Debbie last year? Well, it was now a bit big for her so I brought it home and put in some darts at the waist and took in the side seams. Hopefully it'll fit her better now.

I had cut out some bags for the tartan bee months ago and made myself sew some of them up. I still have more to do but at least I've made a start to them. All I need to do is give them a good press, take photos and load them into Etsy. I wonder how long that will take me??

Oh, this photo reminded me that I recovered our dining room chair seats before Christmas. I got the fabric in Ikea. It was £4 a metre. £8 for covering 6 chairs isn't too shabby!!

My tartan bee labels were getting a bit low so I made some more. I ran out of cotton tape so I've got that other page still to do.

Debbie asked me to make an owl for a friend's wee girl so I did that this morning. Isn't it adorable?

Then this afternoon, I made a ball for Emily. It's not perfect by any means but I'm sure Emily won't care that the top and bottom aren't perfectly lined up!

Monday, 1 January 2018

first make of the New Year!

Happy New Year! Let's hope it's a good one!

I've already sewn something. It's a bit of an experiment and it's worked ... for the most part! I wanted to make a new type of oven glove which had two pockets for my fingers instead of my usual one. That meant the oven glove had to be longer so some guessing, drawing and paper cutting was needed.

Then I dug through my box of bits of odds and ends, found some already quilted bits so I made use of those. Next I dug out some bias binding not bothering if it matched my quilted bits or not. This is what I came up with.

The side with the two pockets.

This is how it looks with my fingers inside.

The other side.

I'm really pleased with this ... except for one thing. The hanger needs to be moved around on to the long side because it's going to dip into whatever I'm taking out of the oven or microwave the way it is right now.

Apart from that, I'm chuffed with how this has worked. I'm actually surprised at finding that I'm not bothered that the bias binding doesn't match the fabrics I used. Food for thought for the future! I now have to make copious notes of what I did so I can repeat it!

A good start to the year! :o)