Tuesday, 20 June 2017

a quilt and a cover

I've been a busy bee the couple of weeks making a new quilt. My quilt holder didn't duck down quite far enough when I took this photo - you can just see his head at the top of the quilt! LOL

I used a free pattern from here and was going to follow the tutorial to the letter but I didn't. No real surprise there! The pattern calls for 96 5" squares. I really didn't fancy cutting 96 5" squares when I have all those 4½" squares that I spent all that time cutting out whilst waiting for Miss Emily to put in an appearance. So, I decided to use those instead. Of course that meant I had to then re-calculate all the other sizes used in the quilt but that was no problem to this Maths-teacher-in-a-previous-life!

I made my sashings a lot wider than the pattern used as well so, basically, when it comes down to it, I changed almost everything. Well, other than the white square surrounded by some small squares of patterned fabrics and placing them on-point. Anyway, after all that calculating and sewing and quilting and binding, it's made and I'm really happy with it.

The back is a piece of fleece in the Black Watch tartan. I LOVE it! This quilt is for a gift - I hope they like it!

The other thing I sewed this week was much easier and less time-consuming than the quilt. My rotary washing line has a cover that was a disgrace! I had already mended it once and it was just getting tattier every time it came off or was put back on.

When I was looking for something else entirely in my cleaning things box in the upstairs hall cupboard, I found 2 shower curtains. Plain white shower curtains. 2 of them. I don't remember buying them - and, if I did buy them, why on earth would I put them in the cleaning box and not in the sewing room? Also, if I did buy them, why would I buy 2? We only have 1 shower in this house. Odd, most odd.

I cut one of them in half up the middle, folded it in half lengthwise and sewed one short edge and one long edge. I am now not ashamed of my washing line cover! Now all I need to do is ask Douglas to move the line to another part of the grass so that it stands up straight again.

Please note the passing train to Dundee - the blue and white bit through the trees! :o)

16 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful, colourful quilt-x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt's beautiful and I'm sure the recipient will be thrilled with it. Snap, my rotary line cover is in a state too and also needs a new cover. I don't have any shower curtains though and even if I did, my sewing skills are non existent. I keep covering the holes with duct tape until I remember to buy a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I don't think even duct tape could have saved my old cover. It was so tatty, I was surprised it didn't just disintegrate each time it was used!

      Delete
  3. Love the scrappy quilt & basically it is now your own interpretation & that is not a bad thing at all. Our washing lines live outside in whatever the weather, without covers. I'm sure they'd deteriorate in our summer heat, so would need replacing continually. I've washing on the line more times a week than not. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have just taken the cover off but then I'd have to clean the ropes every single time I used them and that's just way too much work! LOL

      Delete
  4. Your quilt is so beautiful! I love that you did it your way, you knew exactly what you wanted and it came out so great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous quilt, as always! 😃 I've yet to try out my new washing line cover although I'm sure it'll be fab! Thanks! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beanie. And you're welcome. :o)

      Delete
  6. I am still laughing at your "I made this quilt, except I changed it all" ......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! What am I like? I don't think I've ever followed a quilt pattern exactly. I'm a quilt rebel! LOL

      Delete
  7. This is a very pretty quilt, I love the colours and the design. I like the tartan flannel backing, soft and cosy. I have just sandwiched my current quilt, ready to be hand quilted during our holidays. Cannae wait. Wishing you a lovely weekend, all the way from Glasgow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina. The fleece on the back is lovely and cosy - I might have to make myself a quilt with that on the back. :o)

      Delete
  8. Lovely Quilt as ever. Did you see that Channel 4 more is showing outlander from 29th June?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. My daughter told me Outlander was on C4 tonight. I haven't watched it since I saw the first series but I know my daughter will be watching it again - and drooling over Jamie/Sam again, no doubt! :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)