Wednesday, 3 May 2017

some skirts

I've been busy making skirts for a couple of young ladies recently. First, Debbie asked me how easy it would be for me to make some skirts for Emily. "Easy peasy" says I. I asked her to measure the one skirt that Emily had and I'd take it from there.

I made her a denim skirt with a broderie anglaise lace trim:

A red stripey cotton skirt with ricrac trim:

A bright pink needlecord with a fancy ribbon trim:

A royal blue needlecord with another fancy ribbon trim.

I *knew* there was a reason I've been hanging on to all those ribbon trims for years - decades if the truth were told! I remember saying once before on here that my Grandad used to say that, if you kept a thing for 7 years, you'd find a use for it. I suspect I flitted most of these trims when we moved up to Inverness in 1989 - and back down when we moved here in 2000! I know my Grandad would be proud of me! :oD

Debbie sent me a photo of Emily wearing her new denim skirt - how gorgeous does she look?

The other young lady getting skirts was Joanna. Not nearly as fancy as Emily's skirts but she likes them - thankfully!

One in the Lindsay tartan:

And one in a grey stripe - the stripe is hardly visible in real life, never mind in photos!

I used some bias binding I'd made (a few years ago) instead of the skirt facings and also put it around the inside of the hem.

I suppose Joanna's skirts are quite fancy then - on the inside! :oD

14 comments:

  1. Look at you, making beautiful skirts for everybody. I love all of them. The baby skirts are so teeny tiny! I love the trims on them, how nice to have a chance to use them up. I have some ribbon and lace around that I'm always trying to think of a use for. I'm already planning to make some new skirts for my daughter, so maybe I'll follow your lead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun making the skirts - especially Emily's. They're so small they took next to no time to put together. The fact that I managed to use some of my stash of trims is an added bonus! :o)

      Delete
  2. Lovely Anne, and I'd never thought of making wee baby skirts, but they are so cute. The photos will be a good record for her when she grows up to know what Gran made when she was a baby. You are the clever one for sure. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Debbie wanted skirts because she had quite a few tops for Emily but had only one skirt to go with them. They were very quick to make and I can see myself making lots more over the years. :o)

      Delete
  3. Those little skirts made me say awwww. The trims really set them off and Emily looks so lovely in the denim one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I suspect I'll be making quite a few more skirts in the years to come. :o)

      Delete
  4. Oh how cute those tiny skirts are. I might just have to make some for my youngest GD.....have you seen how much they charge for them in the shops? -x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Sheila. These skirts only took about 32" x 8" of fabric so, even if I had to buy some fabric (which I didn't), it wouldn't cost much.

      Delete
  5. Lovely skirts. Even I have to admit that while mine are awesome, Emily's are definitely the best! 😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could make you a denim skirt like that too - but I'm not sure you'd look as good as Emily does in hers! I mean, 7" length doesn't cover much in an adult! LOL

      Delete
  6. Emily's skirts are brilliant, and so cheap and easy to make. Our recent grandchildren have all been boys, so no good for me! I was only thinking this morning about my stash of braids and that despite having no obvious use for them, I would not get rid of them (even if I could find them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alison. You definitely need to keep your braids - you never know when you might need them!

      Delete
  7. Awwww, that cute little Emily is growing like a weed. Aren't babies fun to make stuff for? Adorable Skirts Ms. Anne!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. Yes, babies are definitely fun to make for. :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)