Sunday, 26 March 2017

some sewing!

I made myself a waterfall cardigan ages ago and am only now getting around to blogging about it. I used the Harper jacket pattern from StyleArc.

It made up really quickly and fits me really well - yay! - but the edges were to be left raw or overlocked. I overlocked mine - even though I didn't really like the idea of having unfinished edges. (To me, overlocked edges are not finished edges - they are on the inside of a garment but not on the outside!)

The first time I wore it, sure enough, the overlocking got caught in something and I just knew I had to do something about that. So I did. I made some bias binding with a navy blue polycotton which was a pretty close match and attached that to the edges. Much better now!

Here's the blankie I made for Emily after she arrived.

Originally, I was going to embroider the "worth the wait" bit on a piece of fleece and back it with the heart fabric but I somehow managed to embroider it sideways! What a numpty!

I had a bit of a rethink and came up with the idea of cutting out the embroidery into a big heart and attaching that to the heart fabric. I then attached the pink fleece to the back and quilted it in hearts. I used a bright pink for the binding which is pretty close to the colour of the fleece - and the hearts on the heart fabric.

I actually think the re-do is much better than my original idea was. I'm soooo pleased with it and Debbie told me it was her favourite blankie as it really is true. Awwwww!

Of course, I had to make a very special label for this very special baby's very special blankie!

I've spent this last week making lots of pinnies (7) and bags (14) for the tartan bee shop - more of those in a later post - but I did make a new pinny for myself. This was a remnant which cost me all of £1 and I had the tapes already. Bargain - and pretty with it!

12 comments:

  1. I'm with you Anne -- I definitely wouldn't have liked overlocked edges on the outside of your top -- Great Improvement! I Love the sweet little blankie you made for Emily -- it's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I think the reason the edges of the cardigan are left raw or overlocked is because the wrong side shows in the waterfall bit. Bias binding is a good way to have the same showing on each side.

      Delete
  2. I love the cardigan - I wouldn't want raw/overlocked edges either. The blankie is sooooo sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your cardigan looks much better with the modification, it's a good job you can turn your hand to things like that to make sure they're finished off properly. I really love Emily's blanket, I'm sure it will be treasured for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I suspect you might be right about the blankie, Jo. I can see her trailing it behind her like Linus does!

      Delete
  4. Oh I do love the fabric you have used for the apron.
    I've got a pattern for a cardigan like that somewhere. I don't know what the edging is like on it but I shall know what to do now if it calls for a raw edge-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. Yes, the bias binding is a good solution to the edges - just like the binding on a quilt!

      Delete
  5. The jacket is lovely & I can't see the overlocked edges in the photo, so must be "very" neat. You've certainly been busy for the Tartan Bee shop, but glad you kept one of the aprons for yourself. Have a good week & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The edges were neat on the photo because I hadn't worn it and caught it on whatever I caught it on! LOL Thankfully the bias binding has sorted the problem. :o)

      Delete
  6. I really like this cardigan - and it looks great on you. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)