Tuesday, 7 March 2017

cutting 4½" squares

Our baby girl has still not shown her wee face. We're hoping for her to come this week ... but then we said that last week ... and the week before that! Soon. She will be here soon.

In other news, I decided that, if I was going to make a few disappearing 9 patch (D9P) quilts, then I'd need to cut more 4½" squares. So I went through my scrap boxes taking out any that I'd get 4½" squares from. This is that pile!

Then I went through my fat quarters pulling out ones that I thought would be good in D9P quilts. Here they are:

After many afternoons of cutting, I ended up with a huge (untidy) box of squares.

I decided that that wasn't good enough so I tidied them into colours.

There were more of some colours than others - red and blue are the highest piles with only about 6 squares in the tartans pile. They're now all in boxes on my shelves and I've already made a blues D9P top with them.

Then this afternoon, I dived into the pink pile and chose some to make a pink D9P top. Having them in colour piles made choosing the squares so much quicker.

These will go into the tartan bee shop once I've quilted them to replace the ones that have sold recently. I wonder if I'll ever get bored of making these D9P quilts? I hope not - or at least not before I use up all those 4½ squares!!

10 comments:

  1. Just look at all those squares.....amazing.
    Perhaps I ought to look at my scraps and get them cut up.
    I love the blue quilt top-x-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cod liver oil and orange juice, a hot curry, a car journey on a bumpy road ......well, I know the first one works, as that was what was my sister had to drink to dislodge her reluctant first daughter (or maybe it was just the thought of being induced if that hadn't worked!!) Stuart inherited my punctuality gene, and arrived 3 weeks early!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're really hoping baby girl will be here very soon. This waiting game is getting a bit old! :o)

      Delete
  3. Anne, you sound like you're in a waiting mode & need to keep your mind & hands busy till you hear the news. I do like what you are doing. I have found something you might enjoy when life settles a bit. Hopefully this will take you to the right page.... lihttp://round22.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/disappearing-4-patch-with-twist.htm
    If it doesn't, send an email & I'll tell you about it anyway.
    Hope to hear some news soon. Take care.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that link, Susan. I will investigate it and maybe try it out. I certainly have enough squares to try it with! LOL

      Delete
  4. I make hexagons and have to sort them into colour, love your piles of squares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I sorted them by colour. It definitely makes choosing a much quicker task! :o)

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, I felt sure that you'd have some news to share by now, Debbie must be beyond excited by now at the prospect of meeting baby girl, as you all must be. You've certainly got plenty to keep you busy in the meantime now you've got all those squares cut out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of us thought she would be late - she's almost 2 weeks late now. Hopefully soon.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)