She had chosen this pattern (click on the photo for the pattern) which Joanna had found on Pinterest.
I played around in Photoshop putting the colours of Debbie's fabrics in where they would go and came up with this:
Debbie thought that the fabrics looked like they were "floating" and I could see what she meant - no real definition of the blocks. So Douglas and I went through my pile of plain colours and decided a bright pink would look best.
Back to Photoshop and this is how it looked now. Much better!
The eagle-eyed amongst you might have spotted that I changed a starry fabric for a turquoise fabric - 1st block on the left, second row down. I don't know if it was a mistake in the original pattern but it was the only block that didn't have all the colours in it. So I changed it. As you do. Or at least I do!
Anyway, Debbie liked this layout so the sewing began. I managed to get the top sewn together but then I got sick and the quilt sat for about 3 weeks with nothing being done to it. Last week, I finally sat down and got it quilted. I just sewed diagonal lines - the quilting part of making a quilt is my least favourite part of the process and, if I can think of a quick way to do it, that's the way I'll go.
Here's the quilt on our bed.
Here's a close-up of the fabrics - those owls are so cute!
Here's a better photo of the quilt with my trusty quilt holder (Douglas) holding it up.
The back is a fleece given to me by Joanna - this quilt has turned into a real family affair! The pink on the snowflakes is almost exactly the same colour as the pink Douglas and I chose to boost the blocks. Pure coincidence!
It's less than 2 weeks now until the baby's due. We're getting excited/scared/impatient around here! :o)