Thursday, 23 February 2017

another disappearing 9 patch quilt

No sign of baby girl yet - she was due today. In the meantime, I've been keeping myself busy making another disappearing nine patch quilt. I started with a pile of 4½" squares and sewed them up into 9 patch blocks - 16 of those.

Then I cut those blocks in half horizontally and vertically ending up with 64 smaller blocks.

Those got joined together into the quilt top and pinned ready for quilting.

I did my usual diagonal quilting.

I had enough of the pink spotty which I had used for cornerstones (the wee squares) to make the binding.

And here it is in all its glory.

The back is a lovely white with a small pink rose on it.

I'm so pleased with the way this turned out. I already have plans to make more of this design - I've decided it's one of my all time favourites quilts to make.

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt! I love all the different colors. The backing is really pretty and feminine. I'm sure baby girl will make her appearance very soon. I hope all continues to go well for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Anne & maybe I should try one. I saw the technique in a quilt magazine years ago and keep saying I should do it and I've plenty of 5" squares from a few mail order clubs I joined back in the 90's. Can't wait for the "exciting" news too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I really enjoy making the disappearing 9 patch - especially using all the fun fabrics I seem to have accumulated! :oD

      Delete
  3. Beautiful and such a pretty back too. I've been wondering if there's any news, she's obviously very happy where she is for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I'm quite happy for baby girl to stay where she is for now but Debbie is ready for the next stage. I keep telling her to make the most of the peace because it won't last long!

      Delete
  4. Another lovely quilt! I bet you jump a mile every time the phone rings ......! I hope she arrives soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. Yes, every time Douglas comes up to my sewing room with his phone in his hand, my stomach jumps.

      Delete
  5. Love that quilt - it's so happy. I think it's my favourite design, too. I think I need a new quilt in my house! ;)
    Baby G will come tomorrow as that's the day I chose in the sweepstakes. And I'm never wrong!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly have enough squares to make one for you if you want one? I chose today in our sweepstakes so I suppose I'm now not "never wrong". Does that even make sense? LOL

      Delete
  6. What a fun quilt -- it's adorable! I love the quick way to do the piecing and cutting too. Good luck with the baby waiting (maybe she's here already - crossing fingers?) -- our baby was over a week late and it drove us crazy LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. Baby girl still hasn't made an appearance. We're trying to be patient but I don't think we're succeeding! :oD

      Delete
  7. I must have a go at doing that kind of layout on a quilt. I love it.
    Your is so bright and cheerful-x-

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)