Monday, 2 January 2017

this year

• This year I'm going to really try and not let what other people do bother me. Actually, it's more them *not* doing something that I get bothered about. Well, no more! I'm fed up expecting people to do what they should do and being hurt when they don't. I know that sounds like Double Dutch but I know what I'm talking about and writing it down will hopefully remind me to stop bothering.

• This year I'm going to be kinder to myself. I have voices in my head - not in the "she needs help" kind of way, honest! 😜 These voices will not let up with the "why are you doing that?" or "are you happy with that?" or "isn't that a waste of money?" questions which have always made me doubt myself. Well, no more! If I want to make something just for the hell of it, I'm going to do it and the voices in my head can just shut up because I am NOT going to be listening any more!

• This year I'm going to live by these words which I saw on a poster in the bookshop in Alnwick when we were there in 2015.

• This year I'm going to be living without my mobile phone. It died on me in December - and I didn't even notice! There's no shame to it as it's the second version of the iPhone so is very old - as mobiles go. Not quite the size of a car battery as Douglas's first mobile phone was but not far off it! Anyway, we had a look at new iPhones and, yeah, at £370, that's just not going to be happening any time soon. It would be different if I actually used my phone but I don't. Many times I've gone to switch it to silent when I go to Singers' rehearsal only to find it's still on silent from the week before. Woops! So no texting or phoning for me in 2017. And, you know what? I couldn't care less about that! There's a certain freedom there and I'm looking forward to it!

• This year, there are a few things we're looking forward - a new baby being the most important one. Debbie is keeping well - just over 7 weeks to go now. I'll keep you updated!

• This year is going to be a good year. Bring it on!

26 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your decisions. IT is so TRUE, I have decided not to chase after people, loved ones included that can't give me the time of day. I am going to spend the energy on myself. So I am with you 100% Happy New Year!! from Iowa, USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melody. Let's hope I can keep it up! :o)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has those sorts of thoughts as in your second paragraph. I'm a terrible procrastinator & doubt everything I do. Maybe it's just what is in our genes that is the trouble. Anyway, I like your thinking & hope you can do it. Most exciting for you in 2017 will be becoming a grandma. It's the best! Happy New Year take care & huggles from Oz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I won't pretend it's going to be easy to ignore those voices but I'm definitely going to give it a go!

      Delete
  3. Love that poster.
    Have a fabulous 2017-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. Same to you! :o)

      Delete
  4. I 100% agree with your resolutions and am completely behind you - go you! 2017 is going to be awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is - especially if I can keep to these "plans". :o)

      Delete
  5. This is a wonderful post! We welcomed a new baby into,our family in December and it is a beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Juliann. I'm really looking forward to our new baby. :o)

      Delete
  6. Good resolutions to live by. This year is going to be so exciting for you with a new granddaughter on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I'm looking forward to being a Grannie. No, I'm looking forward to being the best Grannie! :o)

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year! I like your list of things to focus on for the year. And a new baby due soon is the very best way to start a year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristie. I hope I can keep to the list! :o)

      Delete
  8. A very good list!! Oh my - only 7 weeks to go, you must be so excited (oh, and Debbie too!!)
    I have a little Nokia mobile which cost me £15 from Tesco, and as it is pay-as-you-go costs pennies to use - living in the country I like the reassurance of having it for emergencies - such as when the car got stuck in the snow last winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. I did suggest to Douglas that it didn't need to be an iPhone that I got. After I picked him up off the floor I realised that, to him, it did matter! I'm actually not hating being without a phone. It's kind of liberating! I just hope I don't get stuck in any snow!

      Delete
  9. I read, 'What screws us up in life, is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be', so I am living with that thought all through 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good line as well - and so true!

      Delete
  10. It's SO exciting to have the new baby to look forward to Anne! I loved reading your thoughts -- Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. Happy New Year to you too. :o)

      Delete
  11. I think that you and I are a LOT alike because both of your first two plans for the year are very similar to ones I have for myself. I know exactly what you mean by the first one, by the way. I feel the same thing all the time and you explained it better than I could have. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's encouraging to me that I'm not the only person who feels like that, Jennifer. Somehow makes me feel a wee bit more "normal" - or as normal as I'll ever be! :oD

      Delete
  12. The only reason I have a "cell phone" is that the kids insisted... just in case my car broke down somewhere out in the middle of nowhere. It's an old school "flip phone" and I'm still not convinced that I need a smart phone. Like you, I don't use it much and more likely than not... I've forgotten to charge it. *lol* I like being disconnected....

    Happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, yes, the charging of the phone was always a bit of a "problem" for me too. See, it is liberating not having to bother with all that stuff! LOL

      Happy New Year to you, Freda! :o)

      Delete
  13. What a great post! I love the first part of it and agree entirely. I am hanging onto my phone though. I use it a lot. Especially to keep in touch with my kids. They text a lot. Now that daughter has moved so far away it is a great tool to keep in touch. If I think of something she'd like I can just send her a quick note or photo. Mine isn't a fancy phone. It didn't cost a lot but it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardly ever used my phone so it's not a great loss to me to be without it. In fact, I haven't missed it one little bit! :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)