Wednesday, 21 September 2016

more catching up

Another week gone - another catch-up post. First, I added a bigger pocket to my swimming bag to hold my watch and fitbit when I'm in the pool. I'd left the smaller pocket on that I'd added last week so there was plenty room for both devices this week.

I bought some new towels for the kitchen so I cut up some of the old towels to make cloths. It's funny how they were past their best as towels but are perfect for cloths!

Then it was back to star-making.

Then I played with my new embroidery machine again.

It was our wedding anniversary last Thursday - 37 years!! As I go to Singers on a Thursday evening and so couldn't go out for a meal that night, we decided to go out for morning snack instead. My cheesey scone was most delicious! Who needs fancy food to celebrate 37 years? Not us! :oD

I treated myself to a blouse out of Asda's this week. I tried it on and was delighted that it fit me so decided I would change the buttons. 12 buttons later, I was ironing the blouse to put it in the wardrobe when I noticed this hole in the sleeve just above the cuff. Aaaargh!

There was no way I could take the blouse back - apart from having to change all 12 buttons back to the original ones, I'd taken off the tags. As I said "Aaaaaargh!".

I pondered a few solutions - darning the hole, patching the hole, making the sleeves shorter, covering the hole with something. But what? Another button? How about an embroidery? Like this?

That was supposed to be a test piece but I decided it would actually be better - and probably easier - just to attach that wee piece over the hole. So that's what I did. I also ironed on a piece of cloth interfacing on the back. I'm actually quite chuffed with it. Nobody else who buys that blouse will have one like mine!

But, you can bet I'll be checking any further purchases very carefully!

10 comments:

  1. What a great solution, very annoying though when you've just bought it to find a hole. The embroideries are lovely, I like the Christmas themed ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I probably should have put the other buttons back on and asked for an exchange but I'm happy with the way the blouse looks so it's not too big a deal really!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your anniversary. I love the stars and embroidery, and look forward to seeing the finished quilts. I've just been on your Read in 2016 page and you've read several of the same books as me this! Nora Roberts The Search is one of my "go to comfort" books - I love it. I've re-read most of the same ones as you have, and also the Linda Howard's. Great minds huh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran. Your definition of "go to comfort" books describes Nora for me to a tee. The ones I'm reading now - the MacGregor series - are the ones that introduced me to her way back in the 1980s. These are a bit dated now but still good "comfort" reading!

      Delete
  3. I love the little elephant. Excellent way to cover the hole in the sleeve - could this be the start of monogrammed clothes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. The elephant is made of felt so I'm not sure how he will wash - some felts aren't washable - but I suppose there's only one way to find out! I laughed at the monogrammed clothes idea. Douglas has a hole in the knee of his jeans - maybe he'd like a wee Santa embroidered on them? LOL

      Delete
  4. I love your fix for the hole Anne -- very clever! Your star blocks are looking great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your snowman, I am starting to feel festive already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sally. My daughter told me this morning that it's only 92 more sleeps until Santa comes. Now that is a bit of a scary thought! :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)