Friday, 5 August 2016

baby quilt done and musical bags

I finished the strips baby quilt this week. I LOVE it!

I decided I wanted to make myself a new bag to take to Singers when we restart in September so went ahead and embroidered this design on what I hoped would be one side of the bag. The denim in this photo is really washed out - the true colour can be seen on the bag at the bottom of this post.

This is actually a slightly botched version of it because, when I first embroidered it, I used a blue colour for the word "listening" and it really got lost on the denim background. I decided to unpick the word and do it again in pink. It took me 2 hours to unpick it! (I was watching telly at the time so it wasn't as if I'd wasted good sewing time doing it.)

Next day, when I went to re-do the word, I didn't get the alignment quite right and "listening" is just slightly squint. To be honest, I wasn't too sure from the start if I wanted this design on the bag and all the messing around didn't help so I went for another option altogether. I did a test run first - learned my lesson!

When I made the bag - this time in calico - I changed the colours of the treble clef and the surrounding circle.

I put a wee pocket inside the bag for my pencils.

I didn't want to waste the denim I'd already cut out and, since I had enough denim to cut another bag piece, I went ahead and did a test piece of an appliqué of music notes.

Then I did the same design on the bag and this is how it looks. Fab! (This photo shows the true colour of the denim.)

I lined it with the same spotty pink I'd used for the appliqué and again put a wee pocket on the inside.

I'm really happy with both of these bags. I might just have to make some others. I mean, you can never have too many bags - can you?

12 comments:

  1. Love that quilt - so pretty! Especially like the fact there are little bits of Christmas fabric hidden away in there!
    Those bags are awesome - you do realise that everyone at Singers is going to ask for one now!?! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did wonder if I'd be getting over-run with orders from the rest of the choir! Eeeek! :oD

      Delete
  2. The quilt is really lovely, you've used some gorgeous fabric. I like the bags, we bought Eleanor a bangle for her birthday with Sing Like No One Can Hear You engraved on it, I really like that embroidery and I don't think it matters that the 'Listening' is a bit off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I know I'm far too critical of the things I make. Why can't I just accept things as they are instead of always saying "it's not perfect" all the time? Honestly, I really annoy myself sometimes! :o|

      Delete
  3. Me too, I love the baby quilt!! I was looking at a rather nice bag this afternoon (with owls on it!) when Malcolm said - you already have plenty of bags. Silly man, what has that got to do with anything ..... although I didn't buy it, as it was overpriced!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men just don't get it, do they? Mind you, I have ammunition this week - Douglas went and bought a drill to add to his collection. If he dares to say anything to me about having enough of something, I might just say something about that! LOL

      Delete
  4. The baby quilt is fab and I agree with Josie, that you may have to make more bags for all the other Singers. They are all lovely. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. If the other 23 Singers all want bags, I'll be busy for a while! Eeeek! :oD

      Delete
  5. Hi Anne, I'm sorry to have missed some of your posts lately. I just love this quilt! Wow, what a beautiful quilt for a baby. Just gorgeous. The bags are adorable. I can't help but think that the applique with the bird has a certain annelee55 signature quality... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries about missing things, Jennifer. I know you've had a busy time this summer. Thanks for your lovely comments. As for the bird - I *knew* it felt familiar but couldn't figure out why! :o)

      Delete
  6. Oh So pretty Anne! I would never have noticed the error in your first little embroidery -- it's so cute! I love that you're using your embroidery machine and having fun with it. Love that sweet little quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! I am having fun with my embroidery machine! :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)