Tuesday, 14 June 2016

dressmaking, embroideries and bags

In an effort to try and catch up with what little sewing has been going on around here, I'm going to post them all here in batches rather than in date order. First of all - dressmaking. This is the dress I made for Debbie's wedding. It's another version of the Felicity dress by Jennifer Lauren.

I had to do some a lot of adjustments to the front bodice. I'm not sure why as I'd tried on my first version of this dress to make sure it still fitted me and it did. I ended up taking more than 4" out of the front centre seam!

Here's a close-up of the fabric - lots of lovely butterflies on a very dark navy background.

I'd actually thought it was black when I bought it but wasn't displeased to find it was navy!

I already have my next dressmaking project cut out and waiting to be made - a pink corduroy jacket.

Next - all sorts of things I've been making on my embroidery machine. I've discovered that I really enjoy stitching appliqués. This was my first attempt.

The M has no significance - it was a freebie somewhere (can't remember where) so I got it so I could practise.

Then I did a paw print and a goldfish.

Then a few embroideries:

Then on Sunday afternoon, I made this.

Isn't she just adorable? She's a mixture of appliqué and embroidery - the peach headscarf, blue dress and yellow pinny and are appliquéd on and the rest of the design is all embroidered. There are another 11 Russian dollies in that set so I'm going to be busy!

Finally, stuff for the tartan bee. This bag was a commission for someone. The outside:

The inside:

Then yesterday, I decided it was about time to do some more sewing of things for the tartan bee shop so I cut out 4 pinnies and 10 bags.

I've made a start to sewing them so, hopefully, I'll get them done soon.

12 comments:

  1. Lots of lovely making! Your dress for the wedding is lovely isn't it. I love the embroideries too, especially the Russian doll and the funky flower! Have fun with your sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I was really pleased with the way the dress turned out. Now we could just do with some more warm weather so I can wear it! :o)

      Delete
  2. What lovely fabric you chose for your dress for the wedding, and never complain about having to make things smaller. Your embroidery machine is getting plenty of use, I like the Russian doll and of course the paw print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. You're right - although taking 4" out of the centre seam was a pest, it was good to have to do it! :oD

      Delete
  3. Wow, lots going on, on the sewing front. I do love butterfly fabric. The embroidery machine is sure getting a workout too and the Russian doll is cute. Lots started for The Tartan Bee, so should be topped up in no time. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like I've sewn a lot but I just checked my photos and I sewed the first appliqué (the M) on May 1st - over 6 weeks ago! Yikes. I didn't realise it was as long ago as that!

      Delete
  4. Wow -- you've been a busy girl! I love your dress -- you looked so pretty in it, in the wedding picture. It's really fun to see you having so much fun with your embroidery machine -- it makes me want to do more with mine. I love the little doll -- a group of those would make a darling quilt for a little girl! And that bag! I LOVE the little british mini-coopers -- soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. The wee Russian doll took me just over an hour and three quarters to make. I do like your idea of the quilt. That would look amazing! :o)

      Delete
  5. I misread your quantities, and thought that you had cut out 40 pinnies!! Your dress for the wedding was lovely - gorgeous fabrics - and go you having to make it smaller!! I have quilting friends who get very sniffy about embroidery done on the machine - get over yourselves I tell them, we all like different things!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the thought of cutting out 40 pinnies makes my back twinge! LOL I know sniffy people like that too - as you say, get over it. You do your thing and I'll do mine!

      Delete
  6. Is there a baby joining your family? :) I love your new dress. I have never heard of that designer but I'm going to have a look, in part because I happen to have a sister named Lauren and the names caught my eye. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. No baby joining our family ... as far as I know anyway! LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)