Friday, 15 April 2016

lots of sewing - a catch-up post

There seems to have been a lot of sewing done that I haven't blogged about so I'll sort that out now.

First of all, 2 more versions of New Look 6344. This pattern is fast becoming a favourite!

Next, 2 more shirts using my old faithful shirt pattern - McCall's 5359.

In amongst all this dressmaking, I've been trying to make some semblance of order in my button jars. This is the green jar in progress.

I've only got the blacks, whites, purples and dark blues to sort now. It takes a long time to do a jar but it's going to be so much easier to find sets of buttons when I've finished. At least, that's the theory!

I designed a darted pouch.

I'm really chuffed with how it turned out.

The darts in the bottom corners:

The zip pull is a bit of an old earring.

The Janet's cross blocks that I'd sewn and cut apart have now all had their seams pressed open - phew! - and I've started sewing the blocks together.

I'm already re-thinking my idea of making a big quilt with these. I much prefer blocks (and quilts) that come together quickly and this block definitely doesn't do that. I'll finish the blocks I've already got cut and I'll decide what to do with them when I get them done.

14 comments:

  1. I'm just on catchup again and love your blouses. The little pouch is so well designed and made that you should sell your pattern. Think I must have missed the lead up to your quilt, but it's looking very interesting and will wait and see how you go with it. I know it will be lovely. Have a great weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I don't think I'll be selling patterns any time soon - even though I made it up myself, I don't think for one minute that it's unique and wouldn't want anyone to think I was copying them!

      Delete
  2. I think the first two blouses and then the second two shirts show how different a garment can look in different fabrics, they're all lovely. Love that little pouch, I can think of all sorts of uses for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I think you're right. I have lots of these blouses - and tops now too! - and, because of the different fabrics, they all look different!

      Delete
  3. Your sewing is wonderful! And I love how you used an old earring for the zipper pull on your pouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristie! I have so many bits of earrings in a box, I don't think I'll ever get through them! LOL

      Delete
  4. I've been catching up reading your blog. I do stop by but don't comment, a bit like window shopping. As usual you're really busy. I love the red polka dot fabric and the blue blouse looks wonderful. I see you use the same method as me when storing buttons. The only problem I find is the buttons I want are always at the bottom of the jar.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to take a dealing with the buttons when I realised I was spending longer looking through the jars for them than it was taking me to make the buttonholes and attach said buttons. We'll see if it speeds things up! Hopefully it will! :oD

      Delete
  5. As always, excellent dressmaking! I love your little pouch - I don't know when I last put a zip in anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anne, I've just been catching up with your posts. I loved seeing the things you've made recently. The blouses are lovely and I especially love your pouch. You did a beautiful job with it! The seams are so neat and the zipper looks perfect. I love the repurposed jewelry too. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy, that's a lot of beautiful sewing Anne. I sure do love that little collar on those first two shirts. And your buttons all look so pretty -- how are you keeping the sets together now that they're organized?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I'm putting the buttons into wee plastic zip top bags which I got from Amazon - they're about 3" x 2¼". Any buttons that don't have "partners" just stay loose in the jars. So far it's working well - although it is a bit tedious sorting the jars!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)