Friday, 8 April 2016

I found an old notebook ...

I found an old notebook the other day (when I was looking for something else entirely!) and it had a lot of very interesting things in it. Actually, saying "I found" the notebook isn't true - it was never lost. I just hadn't opened it in years - more than 16 years in fact! - and so it was a bit of a surprise to see what was in there.

Instructions for how to make an angel ornament from sequin waste:

A scrap of paper telling me how to make a tutu:

I did make tutus for the girls when they were wee and went to dancing classes but I don't think this was how I made them.

Instructions for how to make scrunchies - this is Debbie's writing, I think.

How to make "Alice's box". I used to work with Alice in the fabric shop in Inverness and she showed me how to make these boxes out of old Christmas cards. (Anne - I think these are the same as you showed us last Christmas.)

There was also a patchwork block pattern which I had called "Janet's cross".

Janet also worked in the fabric shop with us and she was an amazing patchworker and quilter. She must have shown me how to make this cross but I confess, I don't think I ever made it.

But I have now! This was my first attempt:

Then I got the idea of making then with one coloured fabric and one white fabric on each block so I got to cutting out all my squares and made a start:

I've already got 20 of the blocks at the halfway stage - 2 squares sewn together and cut apart - but this is going to be another long term project, I think.

All those seams need to be pressed open which takes a lot longer than pressing them all to the dark side. I just hope it doesn't take me as long to finish it as it's taken for me to "find" that old notebook again!

10 comments:

  1. What a handy notebook to find. I love rediscovering things from long ago, especially things like diaries where I can see what I was up to at that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, Jo. I've got a lot of old diaries - not journals, just your bog-standard week-to-view diaries - and it's fascinating to see what we were doing all those years ago. I keep telling myself to throw them away but I don't do it! Can't do it. Probably won't do it!

      Delete
  2. How to make your Christmas angels?!?! Cool. I'll need to make some and hang them from my ceiling at Christmas so dad can bump his head when he's at my house!
    Really like Janet's quilt bit, too. That's going to look smashing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Who knew that I still had the instructions for the angels? I wonder if Rejects still sells sequin waste?

      Delete
  3. What a great find. It makes me hopeful that I will at some time find some 'lost' things too. I know I had instructions to make various things from years ago but have not been able to find the instructions for at least years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if your notebook is in the same place as mine was, try the pile of "empty" notebooks. Who'd have thought that this treasure-trove was sitting in a pile of "unused" jotters? Good luck! :o)

      Delete
  4. Yes, those are the same boxes - I wonder how many of them I have made over the years! I like the block, but agree that pressing seams open is a pain!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was the same box pattern. I knew I had the instructions somewhere but didn't know where. Part of me says just to press the block's seams to the dark side but I know it would make it all lumpy so I'm going to be good and do it properly! Yes. I. Am! :oD

      Delete
  5. Haha -- I have old notebooks like that lying around. That's why I love blogging so much -- my old notebooks all in one place. LOVE that new block -- I'm looking forward to seeing them all together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Anna. I don't know how many times I've checked back on my own blog to see how to do something! I'm glad it's not just me who does that! LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)