Saturday, 30 April 2016

2 weeks?

Really? It's been 2 weeks since I blethered on here? Wow! Time really does fly when you're having "fun"! Let me show you some of the "fun" I've been having in the last 2 weeks.

First of all, I tidied the freezers. Threw out some things that were better out than in ...

... and made lists of what's in there so, hopefully, there won't be any more "what the heck is this?" kind of things happening! (No guarantees on that if labels fall off! LOL)

Next I made a jacket to wear to the Singers' concert which took place last night.

I am trying to block from my mind the number of attempts at making this jacket and how many were abandoned/ripped down because they were ugly/far too big/etc. etc. This one, although it doesn't look that great on Diana the dummy, looks fine in real life on me. Phew!

I saw on Pinterest - where else? - that people cooked all sorts of things in their waffle maker so we had a bash at it too. First of all I cooked bacon - no pic of that - and then fried some eggs.

They were delish - a bit difficult to get out of the waffle maker in one piece but that wasn't too important! Just a note if you want to try doing the same - you cook the bacon with the lid closed but you leave it up to cook the eggs. Great fun!

We had about 2½ days of warm sunshine last week so Tilly and I sat outside for a wee while. I have no idea why she's sniffing my trouser leg! :oD

I sold one of my baby quilts from my Etsy shop - yay!! - so I wanted to make another one. This time I went with my sudoku quilt pattern - 9 colours, no 2 the same in the 9-patch or hoizontal/vertical rows. Using a completed sudoku puzzle is a great way of not having to decide what goes where. Here are some photos of the process:

And the finished quilt top just waiting for me to put in on to a fleece backing:

The most exciting thing that's happened is something I bought for myself. I thought long and hard about getting one of these - I'm talking at least 20 years! - then, last week, I saw that an online seller had dropped the price by £200. I jumped at it - £200 off was far too good to turn down!

What did I get? An embroidery machine! This is it as it came out of its box.

Within 20 minutes of it arriving, I had it set up and embroidering.

These are just a few of the designs I've done so far.

It's quite a learning curve I'm on at the moment but, boy, is it fun! Whoever said "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" was wrong! This old dog (!!) is learning a lot of new things - and having a lot of fun in the process too! :o)

16 comments:

  1. You have been busy! Freezers do have hidden corners don't they? I hope the singers concert was a resounding success. Love your Sudoku idea, especially for baby/children quilts. Might do something similar with leftovers for charity if I may have your permission to borrow the idea? Ah, an embroidery machine, which I have, and never used. I'll tell you the story some time, but I love what you've done so far, so maybe should use mine!!!!!! Hope the weekend is going well and take care.
    Love the photo of Tilly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! You think you know what's in your freezer but there always seems to be something lurking in mine that I'm just not sure of! LOL
      Of course you can use the sudoku quilt idea - I'm sure I'm not the first person to have thought of it! The Singers' concert went very well, thanks! Everyone seemed to enjoy it - both the choir and the audience! :o)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that you got your long desired embroidery machine. I'm assuming you'll still be around to chat every now and then - when you're taking a break from embroidering everything in sight, of course!!
    Loving the new quilt, too. That happy snail is so gosh darned cute!
    And you're going to have to invite me round the next time you have a fry up in the waffle maker. Looks gooood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how long I'd been thinking of an embroidery machine ... when were we on holiday in Dorset? 1995? 1996? Well, I have one now! Wheeeeeeeee!! We should have waffled eggs one Sunday for tea!

      Delete
  3. Awww, look at Tilly all grown up, it's a while since we've seen her, hasn't she grown. I love the sudoku idea, the quilt is looking lovely already, and well done on the shop sale. Good for you treating yourself to something you've wanted for a long time. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it, I do like that dragonfly. I was wondering where you'd got to, I was going to drop you a line to check all was well, now I know you've just been having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww, thanks for thinking of me Jo. Time just got away from me! I really should post more photos of Tilly. She definitely is all grown up now - although there is still a lot of puppy nonsense there too! LOL

      Delete
  4. Don't you just love Brother machines? They are the best. Just look at those picture-perfect embroideries you've done already! I didn't even know Brother made an embroidery machine. I have a Brother sewing machine and a Brother printer and I'm quite happy with both of them.
    I love reading your blog but this is the first time I've left a comment. I have a blog too at RosieCozyNewsie.blogspot.com if you'd like to take a look. Hope you have a great day today! *-*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do love my Brothers machines. I have a sewing machine and overlocker and now an embroidery machine too - all Brothers! To be honest, I didn't even look at another make - had to be a Brother! Thanks for taking the time to comment! :o)

      Delete
  5. Oh how fun! You'll love your embroidery machine! I've had one for years -- some years I barely use it and others, it gets a workout. Sadly, my baby has been working too hard and I had to take her to the hospital over the weekend. It made me think that I should have a backup embroidery machine LOL. Love that fun little quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your baby gets better soon, Anna. You're going to need her for all your baby embroidery stuff! :o)

      Delete
  6. I was SO glad to see this blog post Anne! I have been so behind and for some reason you keep popping into my mind over the last few days and it has made me worry about you. I thought you might need my hand, although perhaps I was feeling yours. Either way, I am so glad to hear from you! Looks as though you have been very busy! Congrats on selling the quilt, I would buy one, but with no baby and all... Great extra use on your waffle iron, I wonder if our grilly thing would do that too, I might investigate! Anyway, I better stop blethering now or you will think I am trying to take your title. Hugs to you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. Time just got away from me and I hadn't realised it. I think it must be a sign of old age - or having too much fun with my new toy! LOL

      Delete
  7. I love a good freezer tidy. I refused to go shopping the other week until the freezer was almost empty. There's always something that no one wants to eat and it stays there for months. Love the colour of your jacket, it sounds like it's been a nightmare of a make. Hope you enjoy wearing it. Oh I have sewing machine envy, the embroidery you've done is beautiful.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali! I'm trying really hard to eat the leftovers in the freezer before I make any more leftovers! The hardest thing about eating out of the freezer is remembering to take things out in time to let them defrost! LOL

      Delete
  8. I've nominated you for an award, you can find out about it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that baby quilt, I am very new to sewing but it would be good to start with a smaller quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)