Tuesday, 15 March 2016

crocheted hexagon blankie finished!

I finished my crocheted hexagon blankie this afternoon and I couldn't be more chuffed with it.

This is the blankie on my Hague linker getting the last rows linked/joined together.

This is it thrown on to the sewing table ready to get those ends dealt with. Because I'd caught most of them in when I was joining the blankie they could simply be cut off. There were actually very few that needed sewn in. Whoopeee!

This is the back of the blankie. I like how the linked edges have made ridges so that each hexagon now looks almost like a wee saucer!

This is the front of the blankie on the table.

Then I took it down to the living room where the floor made a great place to lay it out. It's interesting to see how those 6 dark purple ones really catch the eye.

>

Or maybe it's the yellow ones that catch the eye?

I haven't decided if I'll do half hexies for the short ends or not. If I was doing it for a competition - which I most assuredly am not!! - I'd maybe do the halfs (halves??) but this if for us to cuddle under when it's chilly or for Tilly to lie on or for just admiring the colours so I'm thinking maybe I'll just leave it as it is and simply enjoy it.

I am so pleased with the blankie - and even more pleased that I joined it with the Hague linker. I know that, if I was joining it by hand, I probably wouldn't even have all the single hexies joined into rows by now, never mind having it finished. I love it! :o)

18 comments:

  1. Wow Anne, that is fabulous!!! I like how the hexies become like stained glass against the black edging! The joining machine is amazing, I had no idea that such a thing existed, I have never seen or heard of it before. Is it something that is just for crocheting or do you use it for something else and have adapted it for crochet? Enjoy snuggling under the blanket, whatever you decide to do about the edges - which I would leave for what it is worth! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I got the Hague Linker way back in the 90s when I used my knitting machines to make hundreds of garments. It's basically a way of joining knitted - or crocheted - things together. It saved so much time when I used it for my machine-knitted things and did the same with my blankie!

      Delete
  2. It's a lovely blanket and I love how the black frames the hexies. Like Amy above, I'd be interested in more on how the joining machine works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. To put it simply, you put one part of the thing you want to join on the hooks of the machine with the right side facing you. Then you put the other part on to the same hooks with the wrong side facing you - the right sides of your blankie/garment are now together. Then you turn the handle and a needle goes out and in making a linking stitch as it moves around. I realise that probably doesn't make much sense but I don't know how else to explain it!

      Delete
  3. Fabulous. I'm amazed at how quickly the machine has joined them together, it's a handy thing to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I wish I had thought of using it for all the other blankies I've made!

      Delete
  4. The blankie is 'gorgeous' and I've never seen anything like your Hague Linker. What a gadget, it's out of this world. Think I must have missed your last post, so will go in and take a look. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blanket is beautiful, Anne! I love it, it looks just like stained glass. The colors are so bright and vibrant, and they look fabulous with the black. I'd never seen a Hauge linger before, what a neat contraption! It looks like a good thing to have. Enjoy your new blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. I've already used it and it really is very cosy! :o)

      Delete
  6. Love, love, love the blanket. Beautiful! (Although I have heard there's a gang of thieves in the area specifically stealing blankets just like that. So if yours goes missing then you'll know it was them and not me. Nope - not me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beanie! Tilly won't let you steal it from me. She's already sat on it a few times so she knows it lives here! :oP

      Delete
  7. Looking good! I wished I'd had a linker when I was making blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the colours are so amazing and yes, purple stands out, or is it the yellow? Amazing. I have never heard of a Hauge linker before. I'll have to Google it! Have a wonderful weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chel. I'm so glad I dug out my Hague linker. I'd still have been joining the hexies together for the rows without it!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)