Monday, 7 March 2016

blue quilt, tartan skirt and the rainbow steps

I finished the blue baby quilt I was making last week and I love it!

The back is a plain blue fleece this time:

To load it into the tartan bee shop, I spread the quilt over a chair and plonked carefully placed a teddy bear on it. It makes the quilt look even better in my opinion - although I might be slightly biased! I've now loaded all four baby quilts in with the help of the same bear. I was very careful to point out that the bear wasn't for sale! LOL

Joanna and I had been having many discussions about me making her another pinafore dress using the Black Watch tartan I had leftover after making my skirt. We eventually decided that it was going to be annoying to both of us if/when the tartan didn't match so we decided to abandon that idea. (Phew!).

We decided instead to make a skirt like mine which I made using a self-made pattern from the "Sew What Skirts" book. Basically, you take your own measurements and draw the skirt pattern for yourself. It sounds easy and, honestly, it is! I already had Joanna's measurements so I set to and made a tartan skirt for her.

I sent it along to her for trying on and am happy to say it fits her perfectly. Yay!

I still have some tartan left but I'll just leave it on the pile until I think of something else to make with it - something that doesn't involve matching the checks on princess or dropped waist seams!

I was playing around the other day drawing out another quilt design. I drew it roughly on a piece of paper first then opened my Photoshop and played around in there and came up with this:

Oh my goodness, I love it! I very quickly chose all the fabrics ...

... cut them to size ...

... and pieced the blocks.

I then laid them on the table in my rainbow steps design. I've photographed it from the side so you'll have to sort of lean your head to the right to see how it'll look. (I can see you leaning your head! LOL)

Now, I'm not claiming this is an original design at all - is anything these days? All I know it I love it and can't wait to see how it all looks when it's finished!

12 comments:

  1. The blue quilt is so sweet! I'm sure you'll sell it quickly. I love your new quilt idea, the colors are so cheerful. Joanna's skirt is lovely too. I hope you have a good week, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the fabrics in the baby quilt, and the latest one is looking good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blue quilt and your new quilt!! The bear looks very happy snuggling there, I should keep him away from your quilts if I were you, he might try and steal it otherwise, bears can be very tricky like that!! He is a very good model though!! Joanna's new skirt is great, and was, I am sure, much better for your sanity thank a kilted one! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. The skirt was definitely easier than trying to figure out the matching!

      Delete
  4. The baby quilt is really lovely and you found the perfect model, I'm sure it will be snapped up in no time. Love the design of your new big quilt and the lovely bright colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that sweet baby quilt Anne -- squares with sashing is a timeless classic! And I love the new quilt too -- it's funny I just read a post where the quilt was in rainbow diagonals like yours, but she used log cabin blocks. Very Cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. Isn't that interesting that your friend is doing the same sort of design. I'm not sure if that's "great minds think alike" or the alternative! LOL

      Delete
  6. The baby quilts are gorgeous.Love the steps pattern. Very nice skirt and glad you are using tartan and not me, though I'd love a skirt in those new pinky tartans that are available these days(giggle). Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Being a Scot, those pink "tartans" make me cringe! LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)