Tuesday, 22 March 2016

a top, a jacket, blankie plans and books

I was trying to think what I'd been doing all week and, for once, my camera didn't help me! The only photos on there since the finishing of the crocheted hexagon blankie were this top which I made for Debbie last week.

It's made from this pattern - Butterick 5495, view A.

I can't honestly say I enjoyed making it. The fabric was really flimsy - it's a knitted jersey but has very little body to it. The loopy thing at the centre front, whilst not hard to do, didn't look that great to me. It's made by leaving small gaps in one of the seams - ie holes! - and then you put a loop of fabric through said holes and hand-sew it together. Even though I hand-sewed it really carefully, I have visions of my hand-sewing coming apart and Debbie falling out of this top! Crumbs I hope not! Debbie tells me the top is at least 5" too long. I suspected it would be long but I just made it as it was on the pattern so maybe it's meant to be worn by giants?

I have been making myself a jacket which I hope to wear to our next Singers' concert at the end of April but it hasn't been going well. The pattern is the same as the red jacket I made for the Christmas concert.

The pattern is from the 90s and so has dropped shoulders. It actually needs shoulder pads, they stick out so much! I want the shoulders to be not quite so dropped. You'd think it would be a quick thing to do but no. I'm now on my third attempt. If this one doesn't succeed, I will most definitely *not* be attempting a fourth! I will think of something else - or I'll just wear the blouse I've already got!

I've been pondering what my next crochet project will be. I found this pin at the weekend and liked it a lot.


Source: via Anne on Pinterest

It's done in a lovely V-shaped stitch made from the tr2tog (treble2together) stitch. (The pattern calls it DC2tog but that's US crochet terminology.) I don't think I'll be doing it in shades of pink - although I do like it - but it'll probably be a random-whatever-colour-I-grab-next kind of blanket. I might not even do it in a square as you can't use up wee bits of yarn that way. I'm thinking maybe a stripe alternating with a random colour and the black I have left over from the hexi blankie. Lots of plans in my head - I just need to make a start!

I was adding my most recently completed book to my "read in 2016" page and realised that I have just started my 30th book of the year. According to my dairy, we are on day 82. 29 books read in 82 days? And those are all full length books - no short stories! A-ma-zing!

Before anyone asks when I have time to do all that reading, I'll tell you.

• I'm usually awake at least an hour before it's getting up time so I'll read for that hour.
• Then I'll read my book at breakfast time. (Douglas is reading the news on his iPad so it's not like I'm ignoring him!!)
• And at morning snack time.
• And with my cup of tea after lunchtime.
• Then in the afternoon, when I've finished my sewing for the day and before it's time to start making the tea, I'll read my book.
• Then after tea before any programmes that I want to watch on the telly come on, I'll read my book.
• Then, in the evening, if there's nothing on the telly, I'll read my book.
• Then at bedtime, I'll read for at least half an hour if not a whole hour.

So a lot of reading gets done by me in the day. Obviously! 29 books read in 82 days! Wow!

14 comments:

  1. I read a lot too. Surprisingly so, for a mother of young kids. But as I tell people, there's a heck of a lot of downtime while you're waiting for them to do whatever it was you told them to do. Sometimes even enough to pick up a book and read a few pages before they get around to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do the same thing when my girls were small. I also can be found reading my book in the kitchen whilst waiting for the kettle to boil or the potatoes to cook! :o)

      Delete
  2. I'm like you, I'm always reading. I'm up to 36 new books this year and about 50 re-reads (most audio books as I like to listen while I sew or knit). I've just finished listening to J D Robb's In Death series - really excellent books and just as much fun on audio. I don't have a partner to be considerate of, so I can read whenever I want.

    I love Linda Howard's books too but I haven't read that one. Will need to add that to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot of books, Fran. I've tried listening to audio books but found that I couldn't hear them over the sewing machine so I tend to listen to music as I sew. :o)

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's a lot of books. I only really read in bed before I go to sleep, and during the night if I'm unable to sleep. I love that V stitch pattern, I keep promising myself a scarf in it but that's another thing I haven't got round to yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh good idea, Jo. The V stitch would make a fabulous scarf! I should really start a list of the things I'd like to crochet so that I might actually get around to them some day!

      Delete
  4. I had a top like that (bought, not made by me!) and I had to restitch where the bit came through the seam. Looking forward to seeing what you decide on for your crochet project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might suggest to Debbie that she sews the holes closed just in case!

      Delete
  5. I am in awe of your reading! Well done. Hope you have enjoyed them all, that is the most important thing. Hope you enjoy the blanket making, similar to my scarf, and it is a lovely stitch to work. I did think the top was a dress when I first saw the picture, perhaps it is designed as a tunic to wear over leggings or something? Just wondering! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are all books I've read before but it's been such a long time since I read them, I've forgotten a lot of the details so it's really interesting - and enjoyable - reading them all again. The top is probably meant to be worn as a tunic but Debbie is about 5'8" so, if it's long on her, I hate to think what it would look like on me at 5'4"!!

      Delete
  6. The top is really pretty, but would be a long dress on me at 4'10+"(giggle). I liked doing the V-stitch in my crochetalong blanket and have thought about it for something else, but not sure what. Wow, what a lot of books you've read. I don't get much time since Hubby retired, so not sure how I could work out to read more. I certainly did when I was a child and after I was made redundant, but only occasionally now. Have a great Easter and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crumbs, yes, Susan. The top would be down to your knees! LOL

      Delete
  7. Wow Anne, that's a LOT of reading -- You Go Girl!!! Sounds like your sewing hasn't been making you happy this week -- although it sure looks pretty. I find that true with garment sewing too -- some projects are just perfect, while others just make me want to move on lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely moved on from the jacket now, Anna. The third attempt didn't work either. Oh well, it's not like I don't have anything else to wear! LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)