Friday, 19 February 2016

the best bargain ever!

I was in my local department store yesterday and decided to go and check out the remnant box in the curtain department to see if they had any white curtain lining in there. I use white curtain lining instead of white quilting cotton for my quilts because I prefer the feel of it to the stiff quilting cotton. The main reason I prefer it, though, is the v-a-s-t difference in price. Quilting cotton (in said department store) is £13.50 per metre for 115cm wide. Cotton curtain lining is £3.50 per metre for 140cm wide. A definite "no brainer" as the saying goes!

Anyway, I strolled into the curtain fabric department and headed for the remnant box. Someone had just tidied it so all the fabrics were in neat piles so it was easy for me to see that, no, there was no white lining in there. Oh well, never mind. Maybe next time.

I should maybe point out here that I used to work in this curtain fabric department so they know me and know what I'm like - always looking for bargains! :oD

On with the story:

I was just about to leave when I heard M ask her supervisor, L, if she should "price the white lining at 50 pence per metre as it was all marked" to which L said "Yes, let's get rid of it!" I wandered over to the counter and asked "Is that white cotton curtain lining you'll be pricing at 50p per metre?" and M replied "Yes, do you want it?". "Yes, please", says I. I was told there were 3 pieces at just over 2 metres each and I could have them all for £3. Again, a "no brainer".

I dug out my purse and was hurriedly looking for the money in case she changed her mind when L moved to the end of the counter and started rummaging around in something. I was folding my lining to fit into my shopping bag when L said "Anne, do you want this stuff too? It's so badly stained we put it in the bucket." I said "Yes, please" again and wasn't charged anything for those bits. Cool.

When I got home I unpacked my treasure - 7 pieces each measuring about 2.20 metres!!

This is the stain on the end of one of the pieces that came out of the bucket - this is the worst piece. The others weren't nearly as bad as this!

This is an example of the marks on the bits they priced at 50p per metre. Not too bad really!

I washed them all, dried them on the washing line until the rain started and then finished them off in the tumble drier. They're now in their very own cubby-hole in my sewing room.

15.40 metres of white for just £3? Now that's what I call a bargain!!

12 comments:

  1. Lucky you. That kind of luck doesn't come round very often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's what I call a bargain too. It's all about being in the right place at the right time and you certainly were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Jo. If I hadn't been there when they were prcing the remnants, I doubt they'd have been in the remnant bin too long!

      Delete
  3. Woohoo... that's a really good bargain indeed! Well done :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the best type of Bargain to find isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meant to say that if you have an Aldi near you, they have some lovely baby fleeces for £2.99 each.They would make lovely quilt backs and are lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to Aldi's tomorrow so I'll keep my eyes peeled for them!

      Delete
  6. Right place, right time, you lucky girl!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)