Wednesday, 17 February 2016

if at first things don't succeed - unpick and start again!

I played around with the disappearing 9 patch this week and realised that it wouldn't take many of them to make a baby blanket. So I dug out a piece of fleece which I had, measured it and, sure enough, it would only take 5 of the 9 patch blocks to make a top for it. I had already made 4 so only one more to make until I had enough. Score!

I set to and got them made, cut up, rejoined and pinned on to the fleece ready to quilt.

I quilted it using a lovely multi-coloured Gütermann Sulky thread, sewed the binding on to the front and then turned it over to pin it to the back. But wait. What's that?

And that?

And that?

And that?

And that?

The quilting had so many loopy bits on the back that there was no way it could stay like that. Boy was I annoyed with myself for not turning it over to the back earlier! There was nothing for it but I had to unpick the binding and pull out all that quilting. Every single row of it had some sort of loop-de-loop on it so none of it was saveable. A lot of unpicking and pulling out but it had to be done.

I decided that I wasn't going to use that same thread again and, since the binding had gone on beautifully with ordinary Gütermann white all purpose thread, I decided to just quilt using that too. I also decided to not use the walking foot to see how that went and it all went swimmingly. Look at the back now. Beautiful!

And the front is lovely with the white thread too. I re-sewed on the stripey binding -

And here's the quilt in all its glory.

I then decided that, since I had another baby-sized fleece in my stash, I'd just make another one as well. 9 patch blocks made, cut apart and ready to be sewn together again -

Quilted on to the fleece using ordinary Gütermann thread - I had learned that lesson!

I made a lovely spotty binding from a fat quarter - it matches both the front and back beautifully!

And here it is in all its glory.

I have another two baby fleeces which I'm going to make into baby quilts too but I'm thinking a change of patchwork top will be the order of the day for those. Maybe a zig-zag? Or a diagonal? Who knows? The fun will be in the planning! Oh and you can be sure I'll be using ordinary Gütermann thread for the quilting too!

10 comments:

  1. Such lovely quilts. It's a shame you had to unpick all that work but I'm sure you feel better now that you know they're all perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I definitely couldn't have left the quilt with all those loops on the back! I do feel better now that they're done! :o)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I feel your pain at having to do all that unpicking ..... it is so annoying when you turn it over and find that it's all gone Pete Tong on the back!! Never mind, the finished quilts are super, and will be much loved by the recipients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. "Pete Tong" - hilarious! LOL

      Delete
  3. Lovely Anne and such a shame about the unpicking. I'll admit to using good cotton threads for just about everything these days and I've never had much luck with Sulky either, as I tried it once on some machine applique and it didn't look good. Look forward to seeing the next one. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used Sulky before but not with a fleece so it might have been that combination which made it loop all over the place. It'll now just get left for hand-sewing or some such thing!

      Delete
  4. The quilt is fabulous Anne!!! Such a shame about the thread, I have a reel of that, I will only use it for hand sewing things now! Their thread is usually so good - and is generally all I use - so I see that as a real disappointment. Hope the next one goes well! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect it was the mixture of the fleece and the thread that didn't work well, Amy. I've used Sulky for quilting before with no problems but not on fleece backed things. Anyway, lesson learned. It's a good thing I don't hate unpicking!!

      Delete
  5. How annoying! It has turned out absolutely stunning though Anne xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)