I started off with a general idea of what I wanted and just started putting it together. I changed a few things around as I went along, added a few things and decided not to bother with other things and this is what I ended up with.
It's made out of a leftover piece of black denim and another leftover piece of maroon spotty fabric so, basically, the bag cost me nothing for the fabric.
I had 3 cover buttons in my stash this size so I covered them with the spotty fabric and used one of them on the outside pocket ... (it's just decorative - it doesn't close the pocket)
... and the other two are used as decorations on the boxed corners which, for a wee change, I decided to fold up on the outside of the bag. I really like that way of doing the corners!
Not shown in the photos are a divided inside pocket where my phone fits in one part and a pen in the other. For a base, I stuck 3 layers of pelmet stiffener together (which I have had in the sewing room stash for at least 13 years!!) and covered that with the spotty fabric. It gives just enough stiffness to stop the bag from collapsing when I put things in it. There's also my usual brass ring sewn on the inside at the top of the bag where I hook my keys to save me scrabbling about for them.
This was meant to be a "let's see how this goes and, if it works out, I'll make a better one for me actually using" kind of bag. Not any more. This is the bag I'll be using from now on. I just LOVE it!