Monday, 22 February 2016

a new bag

I made myself a new bag at the weekend and I am soooooo delighted with it.

I started off with a general idea of what I wanted and just started putting it together. I changed a few things around as I went along, added a few things and decided not to bother with other things and this is what I ended up with.

It's made out of a leftover piece of black denim and another leftover piece of maroon spotty fabric so, basically, the bag cost me nothing for the fabric.

I had 3 cover buttons in my stash this size so I covered them with the spotty fabric and used one of them on the outside pocket ... (it's just decorative - it doesn't close the pocket)

... and the other two are used as decorations on the boxed corners which, for a wee change, I decided to fold up on the outside of the bag. I really like that way of doing the corners!

Not shown in the photos are a divided inside pocket where my phone fits in one part and a pen in the other. For a base, I stuck 3 layers of pelmet stiffener together (which I have had in the sewing room stash for at least 13 years!!) and covered that with the spotty fabric. It gives just enough stiffness to stop the bag from collapsing when I put things in it. There's also my usual brass ring sewn on the inside at the top of the bag where I hook my keys to save me scrabbling about for them.

This was meant to be a "let's see how this goes and, if it works out, I'll make a better one for me actually using" kind of bag. Not any more. This is the bag I'll be using from now on. I just LOVE it!

10 comments:

  1. Isn't it good when something turns out just right! I love the buttoned corners - I may have to borrow that idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. I was really pleased at how good the corners looked on the outside so I suspect I'll be doing that a lot from now!

      Delete
  2. It's lovely. It's great when things turn out just how you want them to, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It's even better when you didn't expect things to turn out so well! :o)

      Delete
  3. Fantastic Anne!!! It is gorgeous, and of course even better for being made from stash. I love the folded up buttoned corners, they are so cute, the long handles are wonderful as well! I either want a bag with very short just carry handles or nice long definitely over the shoulder ones, the in between ones bug me! You should definitely put these in your shop! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I was swithering about making the handles go across my body but I'm not sure that works so well with 2 handles. Maybe I need to make another bag with only one really long handle! Or maybe not! LOL

      Delete
  4. love making my own , you can make enough pockets for every thing you cARRY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking the other day that my bag's not nearly as full as it was when the girls were small and you had to carry *everything* around with you. Imagine how many pockets we would have needed then! *gasp*

      Delete
  5. Love this. Really, really love this. *Hint hint* ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)