Monday, 8 February 2016

2 skirts, a disappearing 9 patch and the one that got away

So, after finishing Joanna's pinafore dress last week, I had a piece of the maroon fabric left measuring just over a metre. I didn't want to just put it back on the shelf so I made a skirt for myself with it. I used my usual self-made pattern from the book "Sew What Skirts".

I used the same fabric for the facings this time - boring but it used all the fabric up. Yay! No leftovers!

Today, I made myself another skirt using the same pattern. The fabric is Black Watch polyviscose tartan.

Again, I made the facings with the same fabric.

I do like wearing skirts in the winter - as long as it's not pouring rain or blowing a gale, that is - so these will get worn a lot!

At the weekend, I was playing about with some patchwork and decided to make a disappearing 9 patch. First of all, I made a 9 patch block (3 x 3) with 4½" squares.

After pressing the seams, I cut it in half horizontally and vertically.

I then sewed those 4 mini-blocks together in a row. The centre square (green spotty) becomes corner-stones on a row of white sashings.

When I made the original 9 patch, I placed all the outside corner fabrics with their patterns facing like this:

This means that, when they're put in a row, those corner fabrics are all facing the same way. Cool, eh?

I worked out how many more squares I needed and promptly got them all cut. Well, to tell the truth, I only had the whites and the centre squares to cut as all the others came from my boxes of 4½" squares.

The best bit about joining these 9 patch blocks is the corner squares can be chosen completely randomly as you're going to cut them all apart again to join them in rows. That's when the "random" will be done a bit more carefully!

Now for a laugh. Every year, I always manage to miss at least one Christmas decoration. This year it took me until this weekend to find the one that got away!

To be fair, this door is never closed and it only got pulled to at the weekend by accident! So, it's not as if the door angel been hanging in clear sight! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL

12 comments:

  1. Your skirts are so cute! I'm sure they look very nice on. I've never made a nine-patch but it looks like fun. I'll keep your diagram in mind when I eventually give it a try. I'm glad you found that last ornament! I don't think I have any left outstanding, but now you make me wonder...I better go have a look around. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. I had my tartan skirt on today and it was very comfy! The door angel made me laugh! There's always one! :oD

      Delete
  2. You must have a different skirt for each day of the week by now Anne. Your output is mindboggling. Love the disappearing nine patch and you can come up with some great variations, depending on the fabric placement of even what sort of fabric is used. Have fun and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm aiming for a skirt for every day of the year so I've a long way to go yet! LOL

      Delete
  3. Those blocks are so clever!!! You are a genius Anne!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. It's amazing what you can do with a disappearing nine patch!

      Delete
  4. When I read the title, I thought that you'd misplaced the nine patch, what a very clever idea. The angel is cute, I think she should stay put for the year now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about leaving her on the door but I put her in the box with the Christmas mugs so she'll come out earlier than her other door angel pals! :oD

      Delete
  5. I'm disappointed that you didn't do a tartan skirt with beautifully matched knife pleats!!! Love the fabrics in the nine-patch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I wouldn't be able to make a tartan matched knife-pleated skirt in as short a time as I can make this A-line one! It would also take too much thought! :oD

      Delete
  6. I also thought that you'd misplaced some patches for your new quilt when I read the title of this post! I was too scared to read the rest of the post in case Tilly had gobbled them!
    Love the skirts - especially the tartan. Gorgeous!
    And yay for naughty angels! Christmas all year round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought about leaving the angel there all year but thought she might miss her pals! LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)