Then decided to work out some sizes. After a few sums, I decided I was going to make my quilt top 7 blocks square which would finish at 56" square. As I'd already made 43 blocks, I only needed to make another 6 blocks so that's what I did.
I decided I was going to do the quilt-as-you-go method so I wouldn't have to quilt the whole thing in one go. This means that each block will be quilted separately and then they'll all be joined together after they've been quilted.
I chose 49 fabrics for backings. All of these came from the scrappy bags I get when I go to one of our local quilt shops. It felt good to use these - gives me a good excuse to get some more scrappy bags the next time I'm there! :oD
I cut 49 pieces of bump - I use this instead of the polyester wadding which I despise! Bump is polyester curtain interlining which I get from my local curtain fabric shop. It's washable and is cosy in a quilt.
Then I had to take the paper backs off the 49 blocks. Because I'd shortened the length of my machine stitching when I was making the blocks to 1.6 instead of the normal 2.5, the paper was practically perforated along the sewing lines so it wasn't a hard job to take it off. I actually quite enjoyed it and was a wee bit sad when I'd finished!
Next I pinned all 49 blocks to their bump inners and their fabric backs. The first one pinned:
All 49 pinned:
Then I started quilting them. I'm doing straight lines about 1½" apart along the opposite diagonal to the way the fabrics are sewn. I'm using a variegated pink thread which I got in the January sales last year - or maybe it was the year before that! Anyway, it's getting used now!
I've quilted 7 of the blocks ... only 42 more to go before I can start joining the blocks together.