Friday, 22 January 2016

the beginning of the end of the LTP quilt

I decided it was about time to get on with my Long Term Project quilt. I made a few more blocks:

Then decided to work out some sizes. After a few sums, I decided I was going to make my quilt top 7 blocks square which would finish at 56" square. As I'd already made 43 blocks, I only needed to make another 6 blocks so that's what I did.

I decided I was going to do the quilt-as-you-go method so I wouldn't have to quilt the whole thing in one go. This means that each block will be quilted separately and then they'll all be joined together after they've been quilted.

I chose 49 fabrics for backings. All of these came from the scrappy bags I get when I go to one of our local quilt shops. It felt good to use these - gives me a good excuse to get some more scrappy bags the next time I'm there! :oD

I cut 49 pieces of bump - I use this instead of the polyester wadding which I despise! Bump is polyester curtain interlining which I get from my local curtain fabric shop. It's washable and is cosy in a quilt.

Then I had to take the paper backs off the 49 blocks. Because I'd shortened the length of my machine stitching when I was making the blocks to 1.6 instead of the normal 2.5, the paper was practically perforated along the sewing lines so it wasn't a hard job to take it off. I actually quite enjoyed it and was a wee bit sad when I'd finished!

Next I pinned all 49 blocks to their bump inners and their fabric backs. The first one pinned:

All 49 pinned:

Then I started quilting them. I'm doing straight lines about 1½" apart along the opposite diagonal to the way the fabrics are sewn. I'm using a variegated pink thread which I got in the January sales last year - or maybe it was the year before that! Anyway, it's getting used now!

I've quilted 7 of the blocks ... only 42 more to go before I can start joining the blocks together.

18 comments:

  1. How exciting! And I can totally see why taking the paper off the backs would be satisfying. A bit gutted I couldn't have joined in the game!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have left some for you to do! :oD

      Delete
  2. Please could you show how you are going to join them together when you get to that point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! I'm over halfway with the quilting now so, hopefully, it won't be long until I'm at that stage! :o)

      Delete
  3. This is going to be such a cheerful and colourful blanket Anne. I can't wait to see the finished result. Have a warm and cozy weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chel. I'm enjoying putting it together! :o)

      Delete
  4. As I'm not a quilter (or sewer of any kind), I often get lost when people talk about how they're making their quilts so I like how you show each stage, it's easy for me to follow. You always choose such fun fabric, there's lots of designs in your quilt which I really like, the buzzy bees, frogs, blue hearts and snails amongst others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always conscious that not everyone who reads my blog knows what I'm talking about so I'm glad you're able to follow what I'm on about, Jo. :o)

      Delete
  5. I love this method of quilt-as-you-go, especially with all those pieces. It's looking beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! It's been a while since I did the quilt-as-you-go method but I'm already remembering why I like doing it! It's much easier than fighting with a big quilt! :o)

      Delete
  6. I am fascinated by this process and looking forward to seeing more! It is looking really great!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea, quilt as you go and then you're not manhandling a big quilt under the machine. Look forward to seeing it all come together. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Handling a big quilt in a "normal" sewing machine does my shoulders no good whatsoever!

      Delete
  8. It's looking fabulous ..... isn't it great when the end of a project is in sight!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. I'm really enjoying finishing this one!

      Delete
  9. Boy, I'm tired just reading about it Anne! It's looking great -- Go You! You're almost there -- the end to your long term project! I could send you one of mine to fill the gap, when you get done LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. As for sending me one of yours - em, no thanks! :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)