Thursday, 7 January 2016

skirt, hyacinths, hexagons & books

I made another skirt for myself yesterday. It's in a polyester suede type fabric which Santa brought me and I made it using the pattern I made from my own measurements using the "Sew What Skirts" book. I've made this skirt so many times now, the paper I used to draw the pattern is almost worn out! I really should dig out the roll of paper and make myself a new one!

I used a yellow bias binding at the waist this time - see the left side of the photo below to see the colour - and, as I didn't have an ordinary brown zip in my stash, I used an invisible zip instead. I'm not fond of sewing invisible zips but I must admit to being chuffed at how well this one looks, well, invisible - apart from the zip pull, of course!

This morning, I was in Lidl and bought myself a wee bowl of hyacinths. I planted them as soon as I got home and, according to the instructions, in 10 days I'll be taking them out of the cupboard at the bottom of the stairs to display them. I wrote it in my diary in case I forget!!

This is the design on the wee pottery bowl. Not bad for only £2.49, eh?

This afternoon I decided to see how many hexagons I had in the box where I've been keeping them. I started these back in April last year. I haven't been working on them non-stop - nothing like it. I take the urge now and then and then I stop again.

I tipped them out ...

.... then arranged them in piles of 10.

100 made! I don't know how many more I'll do or how many more I think I'll need. I do still have a few still needing their black "rounds" crocheted on. I don't think a few more would go amiss!

Douglas kindly got me down a pile of old books which were on high shelves in the room I used to use as my sewing room. He now uses it as his train room with his huge train table taking up most of the space in that wee room. I couldn't reach the shelves so he got these down for me yesterday. I've not read these books in years so it'll be a bit like re-visiting old friends. I'm looking forward to reading every single one of them!

Fun times! :o)

14 comments:

  1. Fun times indeed! Your invisible zip looks really great doesn't it!! There are a lot of hexies, enjoy working with them. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I was astounded at how good the invisible zip looked. I'm enjoying making the hexies but kind of dreading putting them all together!

      Delete
  2. I have that book too - but not looked at it since we moved here a year ago. Your post has reminded me to dig it out! thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had any hyacinths yet this year, I must buy some when we go shopping, they fill the house with such a beautiful scent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at the price of the hyacinths and even more surprised when I got them home to see there were 3 of them in the packet. The smell is going to be glorious!

      Delete
  4. The skirt looks good and don't think I've done an invisible zip since school and my oh my, that's a long time ago. I can imagine the scent from those hyacinths too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could probably count the number of invisible zips I've used in my sewing lifetime on one hand. I know some people love them but I'm fairly adept at putting in ordinary zips so, those are the ones I tend to use. :o)

      Delete
  5. Very nice skirt, Anne! I think it came out really well. I wish I had such affordable hyacinth bulbs near me, I'd have them in every room. I was just looking at them yesterday in the grocery store and they wanted $8 for two bulbs in a plastic pot with paper wrapped around it. Too rich for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. Wow, that is expensive for hyacinths! I don't blame you for not buying them - I wouldn't have either!

      Delete
  6. Anne -- slow down -- you're going to make more in January than the rest of us make all year LOL. And besides, I'm feeling very lazy hahaha. Very pretty skirt. And hexagons too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that, Anna. I've made even more than this now! :oD


      Delete
  7. I love re-reading my old favourite books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having so much fun re-reading these books. I'm already on my third one!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)