Monday, 4 January 2016

pinafore dress

After I'd finished my black denim skirt on Saturday, I got started on a pinafore dress for Joanna. I finished it today and I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. I used this pattern - McCall's 7241, view C - the one the model is wearing.

It was so late in the afternoon when I finished it, I had to use the flash to make the pinafore show up in the photos. The colour of the pinafore is actually showing up quite well - a darkish grey.

The bodice is supposed to be lined and I did cut out the lining pieces but decided I would just use some self-made tartan bias binding on the neck and sleeve edges instead. It would probably have been quicker to have lined it but that wouldn't have been nearly as much fun! The bias binding is showing up well in the photos but won't show when Joanna's wearing the pinafore dress.

So, that's me at the bottom of the crate of dressmakeries (!!) for Joanna. The crate is empty - for now anyway!

18 comments:

  1. It's lovely. I think you'll have filled up that new notebook by the end of January at this rate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slow down, slow down ...... some of us haven't got ourselves that organised yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pinafore dresses and this is just brilliant. You are such a busy Tartan Bee!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a pinafore very similar to that,which I loved. The last time I wore it, had gained a bit of weight in the tummy area and the seam was just in the wrong place but still comfy so I wore it to visit a friend who had a toddler who kept patting my tummy and saying baby, baby. I managed to laugh it off, but the dress went to a charity shop when I got home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woops! Toddlers can say the funniest/cruelest things, can't they? I remember being very pregnant and passing a young mother with her toddler and he said very loudly "Mummy, that lady is VERY FAT!". The mother was mortified but I just laughed because I was H-U-G-E! :oD

      Delete
  5. I love my pinafore dress - thank you, mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome. I must admit, when you came here wearing it yesterday, I was delighted about how good it looked on you - and how good you looked in it. :o)

      Delete
  6. Oh, wow. It's so nice! I love that drop waist style. I had a dress like that, black and red plaid, when I was a teenager, and it was a perfect fit for the apple-shaped body I've always had. It gave me hips and a butt for a change. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. Thankfully Joanna likes it too! :o)

      Delete
  7. It looks really great doesn't it! View A is nice as well. Joanna will have a great wardrobe of things to wear this year! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. There was talk of making a tartan one next - I think it'll look amazing! :o)

      Delete
  8. Lovley Anne, and a very spoilt daughter already this year. Where on earth do you get the energy? I made a dress very like that in the late 60's and sometimes wish I still had the pattern, but I don't do much clothes sewing now anyway. What next? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Joanna suggested she'd like another one made in tartan. :o)

      Delete
  9. Wow -- you're not wasting any time in this new year Anne! Very Nice -- Well Done!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)