Friday, 11 December 2015

2 tutu trees and a sheepy hat

I haven't achieved much this week - compared to normal anyway - as I've had a bit of a head cold and haven't been much use for doing anything. It's gradually getting better - or at least I hope it is - so I should get back to normal productivity soon. Hopefully!

I did finish off my purple tutu tree with a yellow felt star and the tree is now in place on top of the piano. I might be a wee bitty biased but I think it's fabulous!

I started one for Joanna on Tuesday and then the head cold hit me and I had to leave it but I managed to get it finished it today. She has plans to hang her Christmas earrings on hers too. As she says, they'll be easy to find if they're on the tutu tree!

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been knitting. And not just any knitting - I've been knitting on circular knitting needles!! I was so apprehensive of using them as, although I can knit with 4 kneedles, I hate it. With a passion. I didn't know how well I'd get on with circulars but I managed really well. I did get myself into a bit of a tangle a couple of times until I watched on a video on youtube about how to use the magic loop method of using circulars and then it was much much easier.

I first saw this hat on Pinterest and so wanted to knit it. It's a free pattern too which made me want to knit it even more! :oD


Source: via Anne on Pinterest

I chose slightly different colours of aran weight yarn - simply because my local yarn shop didn't have blue for the sky or black for the sheep!! I actually used chunky black for the sheep because I didn't think they would look right with any other colour of faces or legs!! They're called blackface sheep for a reason after all!

I finished all the knitting last night and here is my version. These colours are pretty close to reality.

It definitely needed blocking and the pattern advised using a ball so out I went to the garage to see what I could find. The football we had was a bit big so I chose a rugby ball instead.

And this is how the hat is looking at the moment. It makes me giggle every time I see it - it looks like an enormous boiled egg with an equally enormous boiled egg cosy on top! LOL

I've made a pompom for the top and, boy, that little endeavour took me back. I don't remember the last time I made a pompom. Hopefully I'll get said pompom sewn on tomorrow.

18 comments:

  1. I adore your sheepy hat! It is fantastic isn't it!! Hope that you love wearing it with the pompom on top! The trees both look great don't they, clever you! Hope that you are feeling much better again soon, take care of yourself. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I feel a lot better today so I'm hoping that's it done now!

      Delete
  2. know that head cold feeling, had it myself this week too. Am loving the hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. I hope you feeling better soon!

      Delete
  3. Hi Anne, I'm just catching up with your posts. You've made some really lovely things! I especially love the tutu trees. Did you know that my daughter's ballet school has one, that they bring out every year at Christmas? They have it on a table with wheels and every Christmas the youngest (preschool-aged) ballet classes perform a little dance with it. My daughter did it for two years but she's in an older class now. We both miss the little tutu tree dance. I think the tree is so cute. It's really old too, someone told me they have had the same one since at least the 80's, which was when this other person was a student at the same ballet school. Anyway, I was really excited to see your trees because I've never seen them anywhere else! I hope you're feeling better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. You could make your own tutu tree and let Miss GB dance around it! That would be fun, I'm sure!

      Delete
  4. Wow Anne, what can't you do? The beanie is wonderful and I love black faced sheep, which when I see them over here, I call pommie sheep, referring of course to the English side of our heritage. I've never used a circular needle, though I have some from my Mum's things, but I can't ever remember her using them. She mainly crocheted for the last 20 years of her life, so must have got them from somewhere else I think. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've never given lace-making a try and I don't think I will. I remember going to a lace demo once and the lady showed us a beautiful butterfly which had taken her about 6 weeks to make. The butterfly was not even 2" square. That's not my idea of fun!

      Delete
  5. What a great idea the tutu trees are, they're so sweet, but that little sheep hat takes the cake - it's gorgeous! Love the colours you've chosen too... very Scottish... heather & bracken. I too have an aversion to four pins and usually avoid anything knitted in the round, so I must go and have a wee look at the magic loop link - thanks for sharing it.
    Hope your cold clears up and you feel lots better soon. Have a happy weekend, hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The circular needle definitely got easier to use the more I used it. Much, much easier than 4 pins, that's for sure! I do feel a lot better today, Gilly, thanks! :o)

      Delete
  6. Love the hat and I'm just away right now to decorate my awesome tutu tree! Thanks, mama! Mwa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so love your hat - I can't wear woolly hats as they make me itch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Anne. I tried this one on to show Douglas and I was **roasting** in it!

      Delete
  8. I think your tutu trees are fabulous too but wow, your hat, I love it. I bet you get loads of compliments when you wear it out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I love the hat too and it's really, really cosy! :o)

      Delete
  9. You've made the Sheepie Hat! I LOVE that hat and it's on my knitting list (which is growing LOL). I think it's adorable. Did you have any problem with sizing? I read a few reviews that said it turns out a bit large -- which I wouldn't think would be that big of a deal? Anyway, very cute!

    And the tutu trees. Ummm, not sure about that purple one haha, but I Love the cute little green one. Very festive!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I had no problem with the size of the hat. I was actually worried that it would be too small but, after blocking it on the rugby ball, it's a perfect fit. :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)