Friday, 6 November 2015

what do you do?

Yesterday at lunchtime, our internet stopped working. No e-mail. No facetime. No house phone - ours is internet-based. No blogs. No Pinterest. What's a girl to do? Other than housework. Come on, let's be real here! LOL

Well, after I'd done the sewing I wanted to do, I sat on the couch with my Kindle and read the brand new Nora Roberts book which was delivered overnight to said Kindle.

There are some people who complain that Nora Roberts books are a bit cookie-cutter-ish. That they all have the same characters or the characters have the same traits as others. That doesn't bother me one little bit. In fact, I quite like working out who this or that character is like.

Anyway, this is the first of a new trilogy and, because the internet was down, I've finished it in record time. I enjoyed it a lot. In fact, I loved it! I can't wait for the next one to come out. And, when I see it's due, I'll be ordering it. Because I'd pre-ordered this one, I got it for the price it was when I ordered it - £6.05 - whereas it's now priced at £9.49. That's a great saving! I did wonder about ordering it as a paperback book rather than an e-book - I do like a real book - but that doesn't come out until June of next year. No way could I wait that long!

Our internet finally came back at lunchtime today - 23 hours and 45 minutes after it stopped working. At least I put my time to good use! :oD

12 comments:

  1. Hi Anne, I'm a big Nora & J D Robb fan. I love her books and maybe she is a bit cookie cutter but I think that's part of the attraction. I know going in that the story & especially the characters will grab me and sweep me along. My favorite is The Search and I've read that about 5 times now because the story is that good. I must get this one as I didn't know it was out yet. Over to Amazon I go .. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't bother about her repeating traits in her characters. I just wish the second - and third parts - of this trilogy were available now. I don't want to wait!

      Delete
  2. I don't read very much now as I always feel that I should be being busy. I used to read a lot, especially as a child/teenager. I went through quite a lot of books a few years back, but just can't settle these days to relax. I've never read Norah Roberts, but if she's that good maybe I should give her a go. Thanks for the telling us and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read more now that I ever did as a child/teenager. If I'm not doing something crafty, then the chances are I've got my nose in a book - real or e-book! :o)

      Delete
  3. We're so reliant on the internet these days that we're stumped if we're without it, I'm just the same. I love my Kindle, I never thought I'd prefer an ereader to a real book but it's great if I wake in the night and want to read without putting the light on and I can enlarge the print too which makes reading easier. I find I read faster using the Kindle too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I thought of something to do, it always involved the internet! You know, "Oh, I could google how to do such and such" ... em, no. The internet's not working! My Kindle is an older version with no back-light so I'd need the light on to read mine at night. I didn't think I'd like mine as much as I do either. I always thought I'd be a "I'd rather have a real book" type. I like the instant gratification thing as well - if I want a book right this minute and it's available on the Kindle, I can get it within seconds!

      Delete
  4. Glad to have you back online, but good to know that you enjoyed your offline time so much! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't imagine what would happen in this household with no internet! If it goes off for five minutes everyone runs into me and blames me as though it's my own personal fault :-) Glad you're back on line now xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all Virgin Media's fault. First it was meant to be back on at midnight, then 10am then 3pm. I was so glad we don't have their cable telly any more as all that was down too, apparently! Yikes!

      Delete
  6. I like my Kindle - especially when I see a book I want and can get it right away, as we don't live anywhere near a bookshop. I am lost if the Internet is off - I need my regular fix of emails and blogs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local bookshop isn't very good - unless you're looking for the latest z-list celebrity's life story! They certainly don't have any Nora Roberts books. I once asked and they just looked at me as if I was a nutcase. Em, hello? Maybe if you sold her books, more people might come in here and buy things!!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)