Tuesday, 3 November 2015

miscellaneous bits

When I showed the bow tie to our choir's musical director last week, she asked me if it would be possible for me to make her a flower out of the same material for her to wear at the concert. I told her I would see what I came up with and this is what I made.

The back:

I've now got more of the snowflake fabric so I'll get on with making the flower for her so I can give it to her at this week's rehearsal. We decided that I would leave off the button on the front so she could pin a sparkly brooch on to it instead. I think it'll look great.

I made myself a doggy blouse. It's another McCall's 5359. I think I could make that blouse in my sleep, I've made it so often! LOL

Joanna asked me to fix her black skirt what seemed to have stretched at the waist. She gave me the brown skirt I had made for her which hadn't stretched so I could see what size it needed to be. Well, somehow the black skirt had stretched by 7cm - nearly 3". Wow!

I set to and unpicked the zip, the side seams, the waistband facings etc and took it in by the 7cm. When I'd sewn it all back up, I measured the re-sewn version against the brown skirt, it was still 4cm too big. What?? Well, it finally dawned on me that the black fabric was behaving exactly like the plum stuff I'd sewn trousers for myself with. Remember that "weird" fabric? Yep. I'm pretty sure the black fabric was the same.

So that black skirt got thrown into the charity bag and I made a completely new skirt for Joanna out of a metre of (non-weird) black fabric I had in my stash. Thankfully, that worked out at the same size as the brown one. Phew!

It's the usual pattern with the fishtail at the back:

I used some leftover fabric from the strawberry top I made for her (blogged here) for the waistband facings.

We made a red candle from leftover bits from some red tealights. When it solidified, there was a hole in it. Interesting!

Today I dug into the depths of the freezer and pulled out the strawberries and raspberries to make jam. Here's the strawberry jam:

And the raspberry jam.

They are both delicious! I know because we decided we had to test it and had homemade scones and jam for tea. The scones weren't particularly pretty but, boy did they taste good!

12 comments:

  1. Home made scones and jam are the best - I'm sure they were really delicious. The flower has turned out well and I'm sure the new one with the brooch will look lovely. I've never heard of a ruffler foot for a sewing machine! It does a great job. It's such a pity you had to do so much work on the black skirt before discovering that it was more weird fabric. I have some tartan that I'd love to make into a couple of skirts but I need a nice pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gillian. After one go at sorting the skirt, it was definitely much easier just to start all over again - with non-weird fabric!

      Delete
  2. Yum, homemade jam and scones, now you're making me hungry. Great job on the flower, I'm sure it will look fab with a sparkly brooch and a great idea to match up with the bow ties. Love that doggy fabric, that's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. The scones were ugly but they tasted sooooo good - especially with the new jam! :o)

      Delete
  3. Homemade scones and jam - bliss!!! How annoying the skirt was in the weird fabric - but I am sure it was much easier to make a new one, than faff about trying to get the original one to be the right size. I have a ruffler foot for my old hand-turned Singer sewing machine ...... I think I used it once just out of curiosity!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scones and jam were indeed bliss. Probably not a very healthy tea but at least I knew exactly what was in everything!

      I'd pondered about a ruffler foot for quite a long time - not that I do ruffles very often but it will definitely make making them a lot easier. I had another play with it this afternoon. Fun times! :o)

      Delete
  4. Gee, you have been busy. The flower looks great, you clever girl. I've never been able to make decent jam and as hubby doesn't like it, there's only me to have it occasionally, so I just buy small jars. Joanna's skirt and your blouse look good. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I love making jam - and eating it too! LOL I now need to start building up a freezer stash again so I have berries to make more when this lot runs out!

      Delete
  5. Nice to see what you've been up to lately, Anne. Your scones and jam look wonderful and I love all of your sewing projects. I especially enjoyed seeing the secret strawberry lining in your skirt. :) I hope all is well with you and that you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. I like putting fancy facings into skirts - it's like having a wee secret that nobody else knows about! :oD

      Delete
  6. Man - I want one of those scones! And if you think you had it bad with that skirt, I had to physically hold it up all day at work because it really would have fallen round my ankles if I'd let it go!!! :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scones were really ugly - I couldn't be bothered getting the cutters out to make them look good - but OMG they were goooooooood!! :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)