Friday, 13 November 2015

another week of makes

Another catching up post from my camera.

First - the 8 bow ties I made for the men in the choir I sing in. I took them to the rehearsal last week and everyone was delighted with them which pleased me no end!

I also took the flower I made for our musical director. She was over the moon with it which also pleased me no end!

For our concert, the ladies have to wear something red or something white or red and white. (This is on our top half - we wear black skirts or trousers on the bottom half!) I had decided to just wear a white shirt and my red cardigan. Then I thought about a piece of red fabric that's been in my stash for an embarrassingly long time. I dug it out and decided to make a jacket with it. The pattern I used is from way back when - possibly the mid 90s?

I've made it before albeit in a smaller size - so I was fairly happy that it would fit me (in the next size up). I changed the length to make it about 3" shorter. I know I haven't shrunk 3" since the 90s so I must have been happy wearing the longer length back then! Anyway, it fits me and I think it will work well as my red top half. I'll still wear a white blouse underneath it.

I decided to make a couple of Christmas stockings for the raffle which will be held at the concert. This is the first one all quilted and cut to shape. (Apologies for the bad photos. Winter photos are not good. Actually, my summer photos weren't that great either! *sigh*)

This is the second one which has now been sewn together, quilted and cut to shape. They now just need backed and lined and they'll be ready for raffling.

I was watching a video on youtube my Jennie Doan of the Missouri Star Quilt Company. It's a scrappy 4-patch star block and I was totally intrigued. I just knew I wanted to try it out in Christmas fabrics. So I did.

This is my first one:

And, of course, I had to make another one.

The pattern was so easy and quick to make. I can see myself making a few more of these ... after I've finished those stockings. No really, Anne. You HAVE to finish those stockings before you make any more of those scrappy four-patch stars.

18 comments:

  1. One of my favorite things about you is how you're always making something nice for other people. Those bow ties are just perfect! The men must be over the moon with their new ties. How festive and fun. I hope you have a good weekend, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Jennifer. I'm going to sew up those stockings this weekend. Yes. I. Am! :oD

      Delete
  2. The ties are great. You must get a photo of them being worn, I bet you all look very smart and festive too dressed in red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I'll try and remember to get a photo of us all in our festive gear. Hopefully it'll look good! :o)

      Delete
  3. All lovely things! It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Don't you love Christmas? I do! :oD

      Delete
  4. I ADORE Christmas!!!!! Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Anne! You NEED to be on the Sewing Bee!! I love the bow ties, I bet they looked smashing on, along with your fabulous jacket. The squares are fantastic and I can imagine they are quite addictive too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chel. But no. I definitely DON'T need to be on the Sewing Bee. I wouldn't be able to sew for as long as they're expected to. And I definitely couldn't put myself through the stress of it all!

      Delete
  6. You and the other choir ladies and men will all look very snazzy indeed! Especially you in your jacket! The stockings will be great raffle prizes as well!! Fabulous squares! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. We're planning to take our outfits to rehearsal this week so we'll see if we look snazzy or not! :o)

      Delete
  7. The bow ties and flower are gorgeous. The jacket looks great and the little stockings are so cute. As for your photos, I can't see any problems with them at all. I've certainly seen many that really aren't any good, so give yourself a break. I watched something on youtube by that lady too and she has some very good quick and easy ideas. Have a good week and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought at first you were talking to me at the end!! I would love to do the star blocks, but for the moment I am up to my eyes in all things driftwood and beach-themed, for the Christmas Fair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL no, I was giving myself a good talking to. It worked as I finished the 2 stockings before snacktime on Saturday morning!!

      Delete
  9. I love your quilt blocks and stockings and bow ties and flower and the lovely red jacket.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)