Monday, 5 October 2015

the sewing room re-do

There won't be any sewing done in my sewing room in the near future because we've decided to decorate it. Truth be told, I asked Douglas a long time ago about lifting the carpet and from then, we've been batting ideas back and forward about what we could do.

We finally decided to go for laminate flooring and last week we went and bought it. Now, us being us, we couldn't just do the floor. Oh no. We had to paint the walls too. And the ceiling. And put in some new electrical sockets. And probably make curtains or a blind for the window - although I will need to get the sewing room back to a working state to be able to do that!

Here are just some photos of the progress. The carpet is taken up in stages ...

... revealing floorboards which, whilst not bad, definitely needed covered up!

Things were put on any available surface just to clear the floor.

Some things had to be put into other rooms. In our bedroom:

Out in the top hall:

In the wee room:

Tilly was a bit confused as to why "her" chair had been moved around a bit. She couldn't see out of the window any more! She did like sniffing Fred Bear and Dolly who were both put in a bucket of fabric for safety.

Douglas busy pulling up that awful carpet edging strip. I don't know how many times he stabbed himself on that stuff. It's lethal!!

Lastly, my fabric all lying on the table - for now.

We have progressed further than this. The carpet is all up, the laminate flooring is all down and nearly three of the walls have been painted. Hopefully, if it's a brighter day than it was today, I'll get photos of that tomorrow and we might be able to get the rest of the walls done. I told Douglas I needed to get the room back to normal ASAP because I needed to sew for my sanity's sake! He suggested that, before I put it all back in, I should go through it and maybe toss some things out. He obviously knows *nothing* about sewing and the necessity of having things on hand so you can use them ... sometime. :oP

14 comments:

  1. Do hope all goes well with the makeover and look forward to seeing it finished. Yes, some of us have to sew/craft to keep sane and we do need some things that seem quite ridiculous to the mere male. Don't let them know I said that, 'but', then they do have their sheds. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Douglas has 2 sheds and a garage ... and all those "man drawers" all around the house too. So, you're right, he has no room to talk! :oD

      Delete
  2. hee hee - of course we need to keep all our craft stuff, as we never know when we will need them! I did post off some wool to someone else the other day from my huge stash - that was really good of me. Looking forward to seeing the after pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, if I did get rid of anything, sure as fate, that's the thing I'd be wanting to use next! Much better just to keep it all just in case! :oD

      Delete
  3. It's scary when you see how much stuff you have in a room when you have to move it to decorate! I'm sure it will be worth it when all the work is done and things are back to normal. There's no point in you taking the time to go through everything as you'll want it all anyway. Just put it back and then get on with making curtains or blinds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it looks worse when all the stuff needs to be put somewhere else. Normally, it's all in its own place but, when it's lying around on the bedroom floor or blocking the door of the wee room, it just looks so bad. Oh well, it'll all be back in place soon!

      Delete
  4. The thing I hate about decorating is all the upheaval, nothing in it's place and everything spilling over in to other rooms. It's all worth it in the end though. Urgh, that gripper stuff for the carpet, it's so sharp. Looking forward to seeing it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I caught my finger on that gripper stuff just by putting it in the wheelie bin. It must be one of the most dangerous things out there! I keep telling myself I'm like a child on a long journey repeatedly saying "are we nearly there yet?". We're nearer today than we were yesterday so that can only be a good thing!

      Delete
  5. We ladies need to have our crafty things don't we! Your room will be fabulous when it is done, but the getting there isn't always so much fun is it! Just think of it all done! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're getting there, Amy. I'm hoping that tomorrow the painting will all be done and I can get everything loaded back in. That, as they say, will be awesome! :o)

      Delete
  6. It's going to be beautiful when it's all finished, I'm sure, but the process is never fun. I'm with Douglas on those carpet tack strips; I had some new carpet installed in our family room only two years ago and the tacks are already poking up through it. I guess it's not as nice a carpet as I thought it was. Good luck with the renovation, I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nearer being finished today than it was yesterday so that's good. I'm really hoping that the painting will all be finished tomorrow so I can load things back in where they belong! Fingers crossed. :o)

      Delete
  7. When I did my studio a few weeks ago, I did get rid of quite a lot of stuff (to the charity shop) ...... books, magazines, wool. Then Malcolm pointed out that I hadn't got rid of any fabric - silly man, as if I would do such a thing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! There's something about fabric that, even if you don't particularly like it, you just can't throw it away. There's always something you can do with it!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)