Monday, 12 October 2015

the roman blind and the start of a Christmas wallhanging

I have some photos of the finished roman blind - such as they are. This is it on the window - in the daytime! The Ikea numbers fabric shows up really well with the daylight showing through! LOL

This is it pulled up - which is how it will be most of the time.

I couldn't find the wooden acorn that I knew I had somewhere for the ends of the cords so I used a couple of metal bobbins which I had in my "I might make earrings out of these" box. Truth be told, I've had those bobbins for at least 2 years and am no closer to making earrings with them now than I was when I bought them! Using them as an acorn for a blind in a sewing room is a much more sensible use for them.

I started my next project this afternoon. I pinned this wallhanging ages ago:


Source: via Anne on Pinterest

I decided today to make a start to my version of it. Needless to say I've already changed it. According to the instruction sheet, the wallhanging in that pin finishes at 27" wide by 40" high. I don't want mine anything like as big as that so I had to decide how big I did want it and then play around with some circles to see what I came up with.

I like this layout so I need to make a note of what goes where before I forget then I'll begin cutting some Christmas fabrics into circles. Fun times! :o)

14 comments:

  1. I like the tree wall hanging. What an excellent idea and one that I'm going to pinch. I haven't bothered with a tree for a couple of years but I like this idea very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinch away, Fran. I suppose you could even hang some lightweight decorations from it, if you felt the urge!

      Delete
  2. Now that blind is really interesting. Well done. The Xmas wallhanging is going to be great and I suggest taking a photo of it like that, then you'll know where everything goes. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I did take a photo of the layout but also drew it in my notebook too. :o)

      Delete
  3. The blind looks fab and what a great idea using the bobbins on the ends of the cords, a perfect idea for a sewing room. I love the Christmas wallhanging, can't wait to see which Christmas fabric you use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I have so many Christmas fabrics, it's a hard job choosing which ones to use! LOL

      Delete
  4. The blind looks really great. I love the wall hanging. I started one before Christmas last year. It's almost finished and every time I see it I tell myself to get on and get it finished. I hope it's done in time for this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say that there's plenty time to finish it before this Christmas but we all know that time starts to race as Christmas gets nearer! LOL

      Delete
  5. Bobbins for a sewing room blind seem ideal to me!! Have fun making your Christmas tree hanging, I will look forward to seeing it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I've already changed my mind a couple of times about how to make the tree but, hopefully, I'll settle on one of the ideas soon so that I can get on with it!

      Delete
  6. You're wallhanging is going to be really cute and festive. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I love the way the Roman shade turned out! That looks great. The bobbins are a very cute idea for the pull. I think it's very fitting for your sewing room too. Hope you're having a good week so far, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. Just the fact that I'm able to do some sewing means this week feels much better than last week! :o)

      Delete
  7. i have some of your Blind fabric, that came from Ikea used it for backing on a quilt for a friend that had breast cancer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I bought the fabric with the intention of backing a quilt with it but, when I saw it in the pile last week, I decided it would make the perfect roman blind. Ikea fabrics are great - 100% cotton and a good price too. Can't beat that!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)