Tuesday, 27 October 2015

blogging from my camera

I checked my camera to see what I'd been up to recently that I hadn't blogged about and was surprised at how much was on there.

First of all is the blue jacket I made a good few weeks ago. It's another Butterick 5616. I love it!

Next were some bindings which I made from Christmas fabrics. I always laugh at myself when I do the measurements in metric for the length but in inches for the width!

I didn't do the stitchery on this - Joanna did. Isn't it fabulous? I used some of that newly made binding to finish the edges. It's now in Joanna's house and there was talk of it going on the wall now. Why wait until December?

Joanna LOVES Russian dollies and, when she saw a downie cover on the Asda website, she wanted one right away. Unfortunately, they only sold them in single bed sizes so I told her to buy 2 and I'd sew them together to make a double for her. This photo shows the join - there's another one at the other side as well.

When the cover is on the bed, you can't really see the joins as they are right where the downie tips over the edge.

I made some cloths out of a couple of towels which had seen better days.

We had a go at candlemaking. I used a couple of mum's old teacups for the candles. I have another couple of cups which I hope to fill with red candles sometime soon.

I made some granola bars.

And some chocolate fudge. Needless to say, there are plenty of granola bars left but no fudge. Wooops!

I dried some oranges in the oven. They took a-g-e-s to dry out (about 5 hours in total) and now they don't smell of oranges at all so what was the point, I ask myself? They do look nice, though, so they'll get hung around the house at Christmas time.

Lastly, this is a bowtie I made yesterday for our next Singers' concert. I sent this photo today to our musical director and she approves whole-heartedly so now I have another 7 to make. They don't take long to make so I hope to get them done in time for Thursday's rehearsal.

16 comments:

  1. My goodness Anne! You have been a whirling dervish of making!!! So many great things!! I love that you mix your measurements! I do that too with baking - against the rules! Joanna's stitchery is beautiful isn't it! Should be displayed with great pride all year! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. Now that you mention it, I mix my measurements in baking as well!

      Delete
  2. You've been very busy and so has Joanna. I love your solution for the duvet cover, I think that was very clever. I've always wanted to try making one from two bedsheets sewn together but have never gotten around to it. I'm sorry to hear the oranges don't have any scent but they look very pretty. I hope you're having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. I remember my mum telling me that the trick with making a double from a single is not to put the seam right down the middle. She was talking about sheets but the same is true for downie covers.

      Delete
  3. You've certainly been a busy bee. Clever idea with the doona cover and your bow tie is gorgeous. I'll have to admit with my quilting I do exactly the same with measurements, so you're definitley not alone. Maybe you could put a dob of orange oil on the rings. Perhaps! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that, now that they've been sitting in a dish in the dining room for a few days, I can smell them as I go by. They're not strong but there is definitely an orangey smell in the air now.

      Delete
  4. What a busy bee you've been. Love Joanna's stitchery, so cute, you've definitely passed on your crafty gene. Turning old towls in to cloths is a clever idea, I recently took all my old towels to the Dogs Trust, I'm sure they need lots of them with the number of dogs passing through. Shame there's none of that fudge left, I'd have been straight round, yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I was really proud of Joanna's stitchery. That's a good idea for passing on old towels, Jo. Mind you, these were just hand towels so may not have been much use - unless it was for a chihuahua!

      Delete
  5. You have been busy while I've been away! Love the bow tie! Joanna's stitchery is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. Has it been 2 weeks already? Goodness me, time flies!

      Delete
  6. I made a bowtie something like yours for my son using a shirt that he loved but ruined after wearing only once. So at least he got something out of it. The quilt cover looks great - very nicely changed from single to double.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gillian. That was a good idea to make a bow tie from your son's shirt. :o)

      Delete
  7. Goodness me - you have been busy. And all are so fab! The only things lurking on my camera are the pics of the Outlander set from summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JosieBean! Ahhh, the summer of Outlander. Who could forget it? ;o)

      Delete
  8. Holy Cow Anne! First of all, I don't know how I missed this post and secondly, I'm worn out reading it! You were a busy girl -- and all such fantastic makes. I love the adorable little Christmas stitchery that Joanna made -- so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)