Tuesday, 29 September 2015

some dressmaking, some LTP blocks and apple pie

I finished the dress for Joanna which I made the muslin for last month. It looks a lot better in the real fabric than it did as the peach-body-navy-sleeved muslin. LOL

This is the pattern I used. McCall's 6503, view D.

Here's a close up of the fabric and buttons. There were supposed to be 3 x 1.5cm buttons on that piece but when I laid 3 buttons that size down, the buttonholes would have been almost touching. I decided to only use 2 smaller buttons - they're about 1cm in diameter.

I have another dress cut out and ready to sew for Joanna but I decided to do some selfish sewing and cut out my next jacket. This time it's royal blue. A very wearable colour for me.

I'm a bit further on with it than that photo - I'm hoping I'll get it finished soon.

These are blocks 30 to 37 of my LTP (long term project) quilt. I'm still really enjoying making these. It's always fun to choose the fabrics and see how they look together.

This is another thing I made this last week. I like to think I'm a fairly good cook but apple pie has never been one of my best things. Douglas's mum makes a great apple pie so I asked him to ask her for her recipe. Not so much for the apple bit but for the pastry bit. I tried it out on Sunday and, whilst it's not exactly the same as MIL's, it was fabulous! I will definitely be using her pastry recipe again! (See below)

Granny Lee's pastry
12 oz plain flour
4 oz marg
4oz lard
1 dssp sugar (= 2 tsps)

Whizz the flour and fats in the food processor and add a little cold water to bring it together.
Divide into 2 pieces and roll one of them out to fit on an ovenproof plate.
Fill with apples.
Roll out the other piece of pastry for the lid.
Wet around the edges of the base and stick the top on.
Pierce a few holes to let the steam out.
Fork around the edges to make a good seal.
Paint the top with egg and dust with sugar.
Cook for about 45 minutes to an hour at 160ºC (fan oven).

My mouth's watering just thinking about that apple pie! Nom nom nom. :o)

18 comments:

  1. Great dress and lovely fabric. The pie looks delicious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love that dress, Anne. It looks like it would be flattering on anybody. The fabric is very cheerful too. I'm sure she will love great in it. Your pie looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing the recipe. Hope you are having a good week so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. You're welcome to the recipe. I'm not sure if you have lard in the US? Maybe shortening is the same thing? I'm not sure!

      Delete
  3. That dress looks lovely and all the views on the packet look nice. You're such a good dressmaker and the LTP quilt is coming along nicely. Ooh, 'apple pie', looks so yummy. Did you have it with cream? I'm rubbish at pastry and don't seem to make desserts much any more. Have a good week and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the pie with milk although I did offer custard and ice cream but we all wanted milk. I used to think I was rubbish at pastry too but, after making this pie, maybe that's not the case! :o)

      Delete
  4. Oooh, my mouth's watering now too. I have to admit that I'm so lazy where pastry is concerned these days, I buy it. Naughty me. Joanna's dress looks lovely, definitely a nicer material than the muslin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually buy my pastry too, Jo. I don't think it's naughty at all! Puff pastry is just way too much work to make and it's so much easier to unwrap shortcrust pastry and fill the tin for quiches etc. I will make this one for apple pies now, though. It definitely was worth it! :o)

      Thanks for the praise for the dress. :o)

      Delete
  5. Hi - I have just popped over from Amy's blog. That pie looks delicious. I have to admit lard makes the best pastry although as I have high cholesterol I try not to eat a lot of pastry and if I make it I use marg with a little butter. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Joan. :o)

      As soon as I saw my MIL's recipe, I knew it was the lard that made all the difference. Sometimes the old ways are the best!

      Delete
  6. Oh - the apple pie took me back to childhood and my Mum baking every Sunday ...... apple pies, rhubarb tarts, rock buns, victoria sponges. Unfortunately I didn't inherit the baking gene!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum came from a family of great bakers. Every time we went visiting one of her 5 sisters, there would be a new cake or biscuits to try and, assuming said cake or biscuits were good (which they invariably were) the recipe was copied and taken home to be tried and eaten repeatedly for evermore. Fun times. :o)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful dress Anne -- I love the sweet little red print! And YUM! That pie looks fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As my grandma used to say "you can't beat a bit of a lard"! As health conscious as we are, sometimes if you want taste, the old ways are the best! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Chel. The old ways definitely taste better! :o)

      Delete
  9. I love the dress and fabric. We had to chop down our apple tree when we demolished the shed - I miss having an apple tree and being able to stew apples from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kimberley. What a shame about your apple tree. In my dream house & garden - which, sadly, only exists in my head - I've got an orchard with all sorts of fruit trees! ;o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)