I didn't know if they would fit me or if I would like the trousers if they did. What was I thinking??
Actually, the insanity probably started in the fabric shop when I picked up the bale of plum coloured fabric and took it to the desk to ask for the 2.2 metres I needed. That was when the assistant told me that the fabric was "weird" because it had a vertical stretch instead of a horizontal stretch. "No worries", says I. "I'm only going to make trousers with it so it'll be fine". How wrong could I be?
Anyway, here are the trousers.
I took special care in making the fly front. It looked great - all lying as it should, top-stitched and beautiful.
I lined the pockets with a co-ordinating polycotton and I was really pleased with the results. (This photo is so fuzzy it's almost not worth showing!)
So, why was I mad to make these trousers? Well, the fabric was awful to work with. The stretch on the vertical grain meant it stretched whenever I sewed an up-and-down seam - and let's face it, most of the seams on trousers are up-and-down seams. I managed to get a grip of the fabric by using my walking foot which is meant for knit fabrics but I still had to be very careful not to let the fabric pucker or stretch out.
Then the pressing of those seams was a bit of a task as well. This fabric wanted to stretch all the time. If I even looked at it the wrong way, it would stretch! Aaaaargh.
And then, after getting the trousers all sewn up and looking as good as I could with the bad fabric choice, they didn't blimming well fit me. Far too big. I had measured myself carefully so I would know which size to make. I even compared the size to my usual ones and, yes, they were (supposed to be) the same size and should fit me well. Nope. No way, no how.
So, those trousers are in the charity bag and someone else will maybe get the wear out of them. Note to self - next time the assistant tells you the fabric is "weird" put it back. Do NOT buy it thinking it'll be fine because it won't be fine. The one good thing about the fabric was that it only cost £2.99 per metre - possibly because it was "weird" - so it's not a lot of money that's been wasted. Just time and effort. *sigh*
Today, as a sort of "let's make something that I know works" thing, I made myself a couple of coin holders. I need a £1 coin for the locker at the swimming pool and I was fed up diving into the bottom of my bag to find mine each time I went. I thought a coin holder attached to the handle of my new swimming bag would be the perfect solution. It's hard to tell but the dark line down the middle is a purple zip.
I also need a £1 coin for the trolley at the local supermarket so I made another one to attach to my keys. The one I made back in January 2012 was looking a bit worn so I wanted to replace it. Here's that one.
I'm hoping for better results this week in the dressmaking department. Let's face it, they couldn't get much worse than those plum trousers!