Sunday, 20 September 2015

plum trousers and a couple of coin holders

Last week, in a moment of madness, I decided to make myself another pair of trousers. No madness there, I hear you say. No, the madness started when I decided that, instead of the pattern I usually use, which I know fits me and that I like a lot, I decided to use a pattern I'd not used before - Butterick 5818, view C.

I didn't know if they would fit me or if I would like the trousers if they did. What was I thinking??

Actually, the insanity probably started in the fabric shop when I picked up the bale of plum coloured fabric and took it to the desk to ask for the 2.2 metres I needed. That was when the assistant told me that the fabric was "weird" because it had a vertical stretch instead of a horizontal stretch. "No worries", says I. "I'm only going to make trousers with it so it'll be fine". How wrong could I be?

Anyway, here are the trousers.

I took special care in making the fly front. It looked great - all lying as it should, top-stitched and beautiful.

I lined the pockets with a co-ordinating polycotton and I was really pleased with the results. (This photo is so fuzzy it's almost not worth showing!)

So, why was I mad to make these trousers? Well, the fabric was awful to work with. The stretch on the vertical grain meant it stretched whenever I sewed an up-and-down seam - and let's face it, most of the seams on trousers are up-and-down seams. I managed to get a grip of the fabric by using my walking foot which is meant for knit fabrics but I still had to be very careful not to let the fabric pucker or stretch out.

Then the pressing of those seams was a bit of a task as well. This fabric wanted to stretch all the time. If I even looked at it the wrong way, it would stretch! Aaaaargh.

And then, after getting the trousers all sewn up and looking as good as I could with the bad fabric choice, they didn't blimming well fit me. Far too big. I had measured myself carefully so I would know which size to make. I even compared the size to my usual ones and, yes, they were (supposed to be) the same size and should fit me well. Nope. No way, no how.

So, those trousers are in the charity bag and someone else will maybe get the wear out of them. Note to self - next time the assistant tells you the fabric is "weird" put it back. Do NOT buy it thinking it'll be fine because it won't be fine. The one good thing about the fabric was that it only cost £2.99 per metre - possibly because it was "weird" - so it's not a lot of money that's been wasted. Just time and effort. *sigh*

Today, as a sort of "let's make something that I know works" thing, I made myself a couple of coin holders. I need a £1 coin for the locker at the swimming pool and I was fed up diving into the bottom of my bag to find mine each time I went. I thought a coin holder attached to the handle of my new swimming bag would be the perfect solution. It's hard to tell but the dark line down the middle is a purple zip.

I also need a £1 coin for the trolley at the local supermarket so I made another one to attach to my keys. The one I made back in January 2012 was looking a bit worn so I wanted to replace it. Here's that one.

I'm hoping for better results this week in the dressmaking department. Let's face it, they couldn't get much worse than those plum trousers!

12 comments:

  1. The trousers are a very pretty color. I'm sorry they were difficult to make and that they don't fit, but it sounds like you gave it a very good try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. I did like the colour which is what drew me to the fabric in the first place. I'll just have to stick with my navy and black ones for now!

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, sorry to read about the weird trousers but on the positive side, at least you gave it a whirl and as you say hopefully someone else will enjoy the benefit of your efforts :-) I have a question : the walking foot that you use for sewing with knits, is that the same walking foot one uses for quilting?
    Oh and your coin holders are such a fab idea too.
    Have a happy week, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gilly. I got the knit foot from here - http://sewingparts.co.uk/machines/clip-on2/brother-NX-400.html It's quite near the bottom of the page. I have a Brother NX400 but, if you don't have a Brother, I'm sure you should be able to get the same kind of foot for other machines too. It's not the same as a quilting walking foot although it does the same kind of job. I've never had a single problem with knits bunching up since I got this foot. Best tenner I ever spent - or rather £9.95 as the postage is free to the UK. :o)

      Delete
  3. Such a shame about the trousers. The coin holders are great though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gillian. I used my swimming one this morning and it was so much quicker than trying to find the £1 coin in the bottom of my bag!

      Delete
  4. The coin holders are a great idea, I'm always scrabbling about for a £1 coin when I go to the supermarket. What a shame about the trousers, still, someone will get some wear out of them so it's not all bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. Yes, since I hung the coin holder on my keyring, I've never had to look for a £1 coin for the shopping trolley!

      Delete
  5. I'm not laughing at all about your trousers - ok, yes I am chuckling a bit ...... what a tale of woe. I have a slot in the central bit of my car (behind the gear stick) for my pound coin, so I always have one to hand at Sainsbury's - I don't need one at Morrison's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a sorry tale of woe, isn't it? Oh well, onwards and upwards as they say! If I had a coin in my car, I'd probably forget to take it with me! At least, if I have my keys with me, I have my coin too! Heaven help me if I lock my keys in the car though! LOL

      Delete
  6. Such a shame about the trousers. A friend of mine made a dress a while ago and that had a weird stretch to it too, why do they do that to fabric!! The colour of your trousers is lovely so I am sure that someone of the right size will love them! Great coin holders! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why they put the stretch in that way. Makes no sense to me. I mean, we don't need clothes that give lengthwise. If we eat too much, our legs don't get longer. Or mine don't anyway! LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)