Wednesday, 26 August 2015

swimming bag, a top and 3 dresses

I noticed on my way back from swimming on Monday that the plastic carrier bag I used for my swimming stuff was ripped. I'd thought for a while that I should make myself a swimming bag so that's exactly what I did. If the brightest bag wins, this one definitely gets the prize!!

I lined it with a cheap shower curtain which I had in my stash for exactly this kind of project. I'm really pleased with the bag and it certainly looks a lot better than the mangy old carrier bag I had been using!

In the last couple of days, I've made a muslin of this pattern.

It's for Joanna and, since I've not used the pattern before, I wanted to make it up to test the fit. I used the spotty fabric from the back of one of my bargain downie covers. Hopefully it'll fit her so I can make the top for her in the "proper" fabric.

I've got a few other things cut out for Joanna too. The dress on the left is my next project - another pattern I haven't made for her before so I'm making a muslin of that one too.

The other 2 are dresses that I have made for her before so, when I do get around to making them, they should be quick makes. Hopefully!

10 comments:

  1. The swimming bag is fab, I love the bright material, and what a brilliant idea lining it that way, it will keep it nice and dry once it's got your wet cossie in it. Joanna's going to have a whole new wardrobe once you're done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. The piece of fabric has sat on my shelves for a long time because it was "too bright" to use but I thought it would be perfect for my new swimming bag. I'll find out tomorrow if it works! :o)

      Delete
  2. Love that bag for your swimming. You'll definitley not misplace it. Makes a difference if you do a test piece first, then there's no last minute panic that it doesn't fit. I'm going to try and make myself a couple of things this summer if I get my b--- into gear. Have a good weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't much care for making muslins but it's so much easier to adjust the fit on a cheap sheet than on the "real" fabric. And you don't have to bother about overlocking the seams or even using a thread that matches! :o)

      Delete
  3. Great idea to line your swimming bag like that! Hope that the muslins all work out! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I'll find out tomorrow if the lining works. It would be good if the muslins fit as they are then I can get on and make the top and dress with the proper fabrics. :o)

      Delete
  4. Hello Anne, I've just come across from Jo's blog and read about your swimming bag with interest. What lovely colours very cheerful - and a good idea to line it too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. And thanks for taking the time to comment! :o)

      Delete
  5. Genius idea to use the shower curtain as a swimming bag lining, I LOVE that idea!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill. I used a cheap shower curtain out of Asda's which made it fairly easy to sew through. I don't think I would have liked sewing through one of the thicker plastciy type curtains. :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)