Friday, 28 August 2015

dress muslin and a Christmas stitchery

I finished the muslin of the next dress for Joanna yesterday. I didn't have enough of the peachy-orange sheet to make sleeves so I used navy instead. It's not going to get worn anywhere so navy sleeves won't be a problem - they just look a bit odd! LOL

This is the pattern I'm using - view D, shown in navy on the pattern envelope.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't realise it had a zip in it when I started cutting it out. It's a side zip, tucked under the left arm and opening from about an inch below the armpit to 14" below that. I'm really hoping that, because of the wideish (is that even a word?) neckline, Joanna might be able to get it on and off without using the zip and, if she can do that, then I won't be putting a zip in the "proper" dress.

This morning I used the sewing room window to copy a Christmas stitchery for Joanna to do. I had told her how to copy it but, even as I was telling her, I knew I wasn't making much sense so she asked me to do it for her.

Don't get fooled by the sunshine in that photo. Within minutes it was bucketing rain ... again.

Anyway, it didn't take me long to copy the design for her.

In case that doesn't show the design very well, here it is on paper. It'll be fabulous once it's done. :o)

12 comments:

  1. That's going to be such a nice dress. Johanna is so lucky to have such a talented mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jennifer. I'm happy to make things for her - she likes different things from what I would wear so it keeps life interesting! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing well so far. Hubby made me a light box, which DD snaffled first, so then he made another one for me, which is great. They make it so much easier than trying to hold it against the window. Your day sounds just like ours, but it was my birthday and ever so cold too, so did some sewing and designing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy birthday, Susan! I hope you had a great day!

      Yes, I needed to take a long break when copying the design against the window as I was getting sore arms. I might have to ask Douglas to make me a light box! :o)

      Delete
  4. The dress is going to be lovely. You're very patient making it up twice but I suppose that's the best way to get a perfect fit. I love the stitchery, I think Christmas crafting will be cropping up on blogs more and more now that autumn is nearly here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't particularly enjoy making things twice but better to waste a cheap sheet than to waste the good fabric if it doesn't fit. I agree about Christmas stuff starting to show up on blogs. If we don't start soon, it won't get done in time! :o)

      Delete
  5. I hope that Joanna enjoys the stitchery and that the dress works out well! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I've sent the stitchery home with her this afternoon along with a mass of embroidery threads so she can start it any time! :o)

      Delete
  6. Mwa - you are the best, mama! Thank you for the dress (and top) and stitchery. Christmas is nearly here!!! Woop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. Yep, Christmas is less than 4 months away now! Santa's on his way!! :oD

      Delete
  7. I love the stitchery!! Please don't remind me that Christmas is getting close ....... I can feel a panic coming on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I know what you mean, Anne. The choir I sing it starts up this week so we'll probably be singing Christmas carols on Thursday evening! Yikes! :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)