Tuesday, 14 July 2015

stripey and spotty scouts

Yesterday I made myself another Scout Woven Tee. I had made this pattern last year but couldn't find a blog post about it. I thought that was really strange because I normally blog about everything I make so why not this top?

Well, I went searching in my iPhoto and found the photos I took of last year's top. If I tell you that this is the best of that bunch by a long, long, long, long way, it's probably quite clear how it didn't get blogged about! Honestly, when I saw this photo, I just had to laugh. Nothing changes with me taking photos of me, eh? LOL

Anyway, I made another top using that pattern. And here it is.

The neckline is supposed to have a bias binding facing on the inside but, since I was using stripes, I thought it would be cool to have the bias stripes showing on the outside so that's what I did.

And then, since I had somehow managed to cut the first attempt at the bias for the neckline too short - and on a double layer of fabric as well - I had enough bias to add a wee bit to the sleeve hems too. Lovely!

Now, when I made this new top, I lowered the armhole by about 1cm as the only thing that bugs me about the spotty top from last year was that the armhole/side seam joins were just a smidge too high. Well, whilst diving into my fabric piles the other day, I noticed I still had some of the spotty fabric I'd used in last year's top so I decided today to replace the sleeves on the old top lowering the armhole/side seam join by 1 cm in the process. So here's last year's top with this year's sleeves.

A much better photo than last year's attempt! LOL

10 comments:

  1. As usual your blouses are lovely. I'm just having a catch up. You have certainly been keeping busy. I love the red jacket and your duvet dress looks beautiful. You really show it off well with the wonderful photos.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. Nice to "see" you again! :o)

      Delete
  2. Very, very nice and of course, so well made. I'm not into making clothes much anymore, but still have quite a bit of dress fabric, so maybe I should think about it. I made all the kids clothes till they were in high school and most of mine too. Anyway good on you! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls always laugh when we look at old photos as they invariably end up saying things like "Mum made that dress/skirt/blouse/jumper/etc". LOL

      Delete
  3. Lovely. I think the neck and sleeves look lovely with the bias binding on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. Me too. In fact, I was looking through my piles today to see if I had any other stripes I could use for this top. I didn't find any so I might need a trip to the fabric shop! :oD

      Delete
  4. Very pretty. You're so clever! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I don't know Anne, I think that your photos are much improved!!! The tops on the other hand are always great! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy - although part of me is saying "she should have gone to Specsavers!" ;o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)