Tuesday, 28 July 2015

scrappy blocks and a surprise meeting

I recently started what I suspect will be a long-term project. It's a scrappy block, paper-pieced and every square will have a white stripe down the diagonal as the starting point.

The paper (on the back and not seen in these photos) is 8" square and the white stripes are 1¼" wide and 13" long.

I used a short machine stitch (1.6) so that, when it's time to pull the paper off, it will hopefully come off quite easily.

The first blocks I made using a single colour but I don't think I'll keep that up. I like the idea of more multi-coloured blocks.

This is how the blocks will join up showing how the white stripe meets making white squares. So far, so good.

Another thing I "made" last week were cinnamon rolls. The reason I put "made" in inverted commas is because I bought a tube of Jusrol cinnamon rolls from Asda's last week and all I did was open said tube, cut them up and baked them. Boy they were good!

Douglas isn't fond of icing so I left it in the bowl and just dribbled it on my own. Yummmmmmmeeeeee!

Finally, a funny thing happened to me today and I have to tell you about it. I was in my local fabric shop buying some dress net to make net Christmas trees like these:


Source: via Anne on Pinterest

As I was getting it cut, I noticed a lady on the other side of the counter looking at me. On my way out of the fabric department, that same lady came up to me and said "Excuse me. Do you have a blog?" I said "Yes, I do" and she said "I read it! I thought I recognised you and realised that's how I knew you!" I was astounded! This lady lives in a town about 20 minutes away from me. She doesn't have a blog but she reads mine and we met in the fabric shop in my town! Amazing! So, lady from the fabric shop, if you're reading this .... hello! It was lovely to meet you! Thank you for the compliments! :o)

10 comments:

  1. LOVING those blocks Anne and you've given me a great idea. I'll email you and tell what it is. I have so many scraps that I either need to use up (for charity) or give away. Thanks. That frothy Xmas tree is so cute and fancy meeting someone who reads your blog, but so lovely. Happy sewing and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. It was fun to meet that lady. I wonder if she'd have know who I was if I'd been in the chemist or the supermarket? Maybe it was because I was buying fabric that she managed to place me! :oD

      Delete
  2. Those blocks are beautiful! I've always wanted to try sewing something like that. How nice to meet someone who reads your blog! That happened to me once too and it was fun and weird at the same time. I joked to my husband that it was a good thing the meeting happened in a craft store where I was buying yarn, thereby upholding my wholesome online image. Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yes, our online image of (always) buying fabric or yarn has to be upheld! :oD

      Delete
  3. I have been recognised by readers ........ and so has Malcolm!! I like your strippy blocks - I have done a freeform version where you sew strips together then cut squares out - indeed I have a batik version as a bed topper for our bed!
    I love your frothy Christmas trees - but you do realise that the Christmas-in-December brigade will be round to chastise you for using the c-word in July!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yes. The girl who served me in the fabric shop was delighted that I was starting this early. She said it justified her reasoning for having the Christmas fabrics out on sale already! :oD

      Delete
  4. How great that the lady recognised you and introduced herself! I love the new blocks, they are so pretty, especially with the white stripe to set them off. The Christmas trees are intriguing me, I cannot wait to see more of those!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I've seen a few stripey blocks like that but without the white stripe. I do like how the white stripe gives it some definition somehow. We'll see how long it takes me to get it done. :o)

      Delete
  5. How nice to meet one of your readers. Very apt that it was in a fabric shop. Love your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gillian. I wonder if she'd have been able to place me if I'd been somewhere else?

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)