Friday, 10 July 2015

I ❤︎ Outlander

A few months ago, I noticed in my feed on Pinterest (where it shows what you and people you follow have been pinning), there were a lot of pins about a programme called "Outlander". These pins were being pinned by Joanna and it was clear that she really enjoyed this show. I must admit, I was intrigued - I mean, who can resist a handsome Scotsman in a kilt? Not me! LOL

Then, one day when we were dog-sitting Tilly, Douglas asked our next-door neighbour if he knew what was happening down at the harbour and why it was all being fenced off and people weren't allowed to go down there any more. Our neighbour told him it was because they were filming "Outlander". My immediate thought was "Joanna is going to be soooooooo excited about this". Understatement of the year! To read Joanna's thoughts and what she did about them you can read her blog posts here and here. So exciting!

Anyway, Douglas and I then decided we'd better watch this "Outlander" thing and see what it was all about. In the UK, it's available on Amazon Prime and, as we already do the Amazon Prime thing, we started watching. In case you don't know, the first series (which is all that's available at the moment) is an adaptation of Diana Gabaldon's book, originally called "Cross Stitch". I had read it when it first came out about 20 years ago but hadn't read any of the follow up books.

One of the best things about the series is that it's filmed in Scotland so Douglas and I sat there watching it saying "been there", "that's Falkand", "that's Culross" and so on and so on. It's a bit gory in places - more than a bit, to be honest - and there are sex scenes which might make you break out in a sweat ;o) but all in all, I really enjoyed it. That's 16 hours of telly I'd watch again!

Anyway, to the point of this post! Joanna made a lot of new friends from all over the world by tweeting about the filming at the harbour and one of them has come over from the US to visit Scotland and to see some of the places where "Outlander" was filmed. Joanna is meeting her tomorrow and she asked me if I'd make a bag for her to give her new friend. So I did.

First of all, I printed out some text using the font they'd used in "Outlander" - Charlemagne Std Bold which I already had on my computer. Then I pinned the piece of paper on to some calico and started sewing around the letters.

Then I added a tartan heart. The photo above shows the first position of the heart - I decided I didn't like it like that so I unpicked it and centred it as shown in this photo.

After peeling off the paper and sewing around the letters again (and finishing off all those threads!!), I turned it into a shopping bag.

The inside of the bag is the same tartan as the heart - Royal Stewart tartan.

It was a lot of work to sew all those letters - twice because I made the same bag for Joanna as a prototype - but well worth it in the end.

If you get a chance to watch "Outlander" even if it's only to look at Jamie Fraser/Sam Heughan Scotland, you should totally do it! :o)

17 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift for Joanna's new found friend and of course, so well made. Is Outlander a series or just a one off program? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. The first season of Outlander is 16 hour-long episodes. They're currently filming series 2.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful gift to Joanna and her friend!!! I haven't seen this show, but I know how interesting watching filming can be!! I hope that Joanna has a great time showing her friend around!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had a wonderful time, Amy. When she came to collect Tilly, she looked exhausted!

      Delete
  3. I've never watched Outlander. I hope Joanna's day goes well and I'm sure her new friend will love the bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna said her new friend was "astounded" by the new bag. Yay! :o)

      Delete
  4. She LOVED the bag (as do I) and thank you so much for making them for me/us! Best. Mum. Ever.
    That blog was awesome - mmmm, Sam Heughan! - and for all those who've yet to watch Outlander, I would thoroughly recommend it. (It's on Starz in America.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad she liked the bag - and you too! :o)

      Delete
  5. I love that bag! I have to confess though that I didn't care so much for the show. The general story line and setting yes, but when it got to the last few episodes with the prison scenes I had to stop watching. It was just too graphic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristie. The last couple of episodes were very hard to watch. I had to keep reminding myself they were only acting so I suppose that means they were good at their jobs!

      Delete
  6. I am a total Outlander fan and have been long before the TV series came out. I've read all the books 3 times. And I plan on reading them more. I love the TV show too!!
    I also love the bag too! Is there anyway to order one from you? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s It's me Rowan6 from iVillage (years ago).

      Delete
    2. Hi Heather. I knew it was you! :o) I don't have any more bags made as yet but I'll let you know when I do - hopefully in the not too distant future! :o)

      Delete
  7. My Australian quilting friends were all hooked on Outlander when I visited them last year - but it doesn't appeal to me. I love the bag, what a super gift
    Raining here this morning!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always worry about things set in Scotland in case they make us sound ridiculous but the vast majority of the actors in this one are actually Scottish - or English or Irish - so they at least sound "real"!

      Delete
  8. Ohmygosh -- you probably shouldn't have told me that Outlander is now on Amazon -- I don't have time to watch it LOL! As you know, I love anything Scotland -- I've been wanting to read the books. Sigh .... LOVE your pretty little bag!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if it's showing on Amazon Prime in the US, Anna. But it is here so I can get my fill of Jamie any time I want! *sigh* :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)