Wednesday, 17 June 2015

some happy things

I was working in my sewing room this afternoon when I looked out the window and saw the washing drying on the line. I love it when I can get the washing dried outside so I took a photo of it. As you do. I even managed to catch a train in the background as it passed the house on its way to Edinburgh.

Then I looked back at the sewing table and saw my iPad where I was watching the tennis from Queens Club. I don't have a telly in the sewing room so it's nice to be able to watch stuff on my iPad.

Then I looked at my sewing machine where I was in the middle of making some buttonholes for the blouse I was making. I do love when I get to the buttonhole stage of a blouse - it means I'm nearly finished!

I then looked around my sewing room and took a photo of my buttons. I do love buttons and have, as you can tell, quite a few. Oh, and I've just noticed, the brown basket under the buttons is empty. That's my ironing basket so it being empty is really happyfying. (Yes, I made that word up but it should be a word, don't you think?)

Then I remembered about my relatively new methods of storing some of my sewing stuff. I bought some divided boxes and used them to store - with different types in the separate compartments - machine needles:

Some of the feet for my sewing machine:

And my bobbins:

And then, at the end of my sewing afternoon, another thing that makes me happy - my next project. I do like it when I have something already cut out and ready to start when I next step into my sewing room.

I always think it's the wee things that I don't particularly notice that make me happy. These are just some of those wee things I noticed today.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, you are so (sew) organised. I'm not disorganised, but definitely not up to your standard. I made my first garment at the weekend. A very simple tunic top. I found the hardest part was cutting it out as the fabric moves as soon as you pick up the scissors - grr. I made a balls-up of the neck facing and ended up sewing it on the wrong side of the fabric, but as it was a batik I just turned it round and carried on. My inner seams are a total mess and my hemline is wonky. But it fits and I can wear it, so not bad for a first go. I wore it to a "sewcial" evening and it received due approval, so I'm very happy. Thankfully I also picked up lots of tips to help resolve my probs for next time. Dead chuffed with myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've every right to be chuffed, Fran. Well done. :o)

      Delete
  2. Lots of happy things. I always wanted to live by a railway after seeing The Railway Children as a child, now I've just finished The Girl On The Train and I'm not so sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've lived here for 13 years now and I still love it when a train goes past. In the summer, we sometimes get steam trains passing by and that's even more exciting. We have been known to climb on the wall to see them!

      Delete
  3. What a joyful post! I have to confess to being more than a little bit jealous of your button collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristie. I've always loved buttons and remember when I was a child, if I was ill in bed, my mum would give me her button box to play with. :o)

      Delete
  4. They are wonderfully lovely things to be very happy about!! Your garden is so lovely and sunny isn't it! Of course too anyone would love all of those buttons!! Best of all though has to be the lack of ironing waiting to be done! I am very glad that you are having such a happyfull day!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden does look lovely ... from up in the sewing room. Close up, you can see the weeds that need weeding and the strawberries and rapsberries that need netting and the grass that needs cut ... and so on and so on. :oD

      Delete
  5. I too have an empty ironing basket - woohoo! I'm trying to not look round my studio at the moment, as it is in utter disarray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Empty ironing baskets are the best thing ever! LOL

      Delete
  6. Those are definitely happyfying things!! I think I would be most happy about having a project all ready to go -- I feel like I'm never that organized. Although ... that empty ironing basket -- that's pretty awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel like I've cheated somehow if I've got a project ready to go. It's like I sneaked the cutting out in when nobody was looking! LOL

      Delete
  7. Lots and lots of wee happy things - and yes, absolutely definitely "happyfying" should be a word. Thus it is decreed and agreed! ;-)
    Have a happy weekend,
    hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gilly. I definitely think "happyfying" should be a word! :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)