Monday, 29 June 2015

a dress from a duvet cover

I made myself a new dress over the weekend. It's the Felicity dress pattern from Jennifer Lauren patterns on Etsy. Bearing in mind my rubbish self-photo-taking skills, I asked Joanna to take my photos in my new dress. She kindly did. Clearly, the stupid faces are not reserved for only photos I take myself! *eyeroll*

After that first photo, Joanna told me to "Stop just standing there - do something!" So I did! I moved this way:

And that way:

I demonstrated how good the dress is when spinning:

Boy, that made me dizzy!!

Then I practised my curtsey.

And, in case I ever need it, my apparent ability to stand on one leg - don't ask where my other leg is. I haven't a clue! And there's that stupid face again!

This is how the dress looks on Diana the dummy. Quite pretty, I think!

I changed the neckline to be pleats rather than gathers. When I tried it on whilst sewing the bodice, I didn't like how the gathers were going to be sticking out on the boobular area.

The fabric for this dress was a duvet cover that I bought last year in Asda's at the princely sum of £5. A dress for a fiver? Now that's a bargain!

22 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so impressed. Firstly, that you started with a cheap duvet cover. That's my kind of frugality. And it came out beautifully! It looks terrific on you. I especially love the waistline. That's exactly the kind of waistline I like in a dress, as per my previous body discussions. :) Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. I love the dress but I love even more that it hardly cost me anything! :o)

      Delete
  2. You're toooo cute Anne! The dress looks great on you. And it twirls -- there's nothing better than that for a dress!!! (Even if you get dizzy LOL!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. Twirling is always good fun - until you go too far! LOL

      Delete
  3. Oh my - I am still laughing at you "throwing shapes" for your photo shoot!! I love the shape of the dress - and at £5, an absolute bargain!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. I might have to check Asda's duvet covers this week just in case there are more in the reduced pile! :o)

      Delete
  4. Awww, this post has made me smile, I think all the photos of you are lovely and that's before I even get started on the dress. What a brilliant use for a duvet cover, I think it's a fabulous dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I'm glad I made you smile! :o)

      Delete
  5. Like Jo, you made me really smile and for the second time today. The other was cuddling two beautiful kelpies, one who is blind and the other it's best mate who is always there for him. Love what you've done with a "duvet cover". Hope your day is as lovely as what it looks like at Wimbledon with clear blue skies. Take care and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. We did have good weather today but not nearly as hot as Wimbledon. Not that I'm complaining at all. 41ºC is not my idea of fun!

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely shape, it swings out so beautifully. Well done. Now I am wondering if I have any duvetcovers at the back of the airing cupboard which are ripe for re-cycling. If this heat continues, I shall need some more cotton frocks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. I hope you find something lovely at the back of your airing cupboard! :o)

      Delete
  7. Fantastic!!!! I think that it is great that you did a photo shoot, you look really good in the pictures and not face pulling at all!!! Love the spinny one!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I might have to make Joanna take my photos all the time. :o)

      Delete
  8. Oh, that's beautiful and totally unique, very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not only a bargain but really gorgeous. Your photos are great when you are just being you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the dress is absolutely beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've decided to start charging for my skills as a photographer!!! You look lovely in the dress - and not just because of my pics. LOL! J xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I wonder what I could pay you in? Dog biscuits for Tilly? :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)