Friday, 29 May 2015

starting a new baby quilt

I started making a new baby quilt this week. First of all I drew out a couple of plans. They were basically the same - 4½" patterned squares with white sashings between. The first one had cornerstones in the sashing rows.

I decided to go with the second version without the cornerstones. I felt that adding 81 2½" squares was going to make the quilt top look very busy. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :oD)

I then dug out my boxes of 4½" squares and chose 64 of them. Taking 64 out of the boxes didn't make much of a dent in my supply! I have so many squares already cut that I could probably make 10 quilts like this and not need to cut any more!

I arranged them on top of our bed and then wrote down the order of each row.

Then I dug into my box of 2½" white strips for the sashings. I had so many of those, I didn't need to cut any new ones! Yay!

Today I started sewing the vertical sashings on to the 4½" squares to make the 8 horizontal rows.

Then I pressed all the seams towards the coloured squares. (Note to self: hoover the sewing room carpet! *blush*)

Then I sewed one horizontal sashing strip to rows 1 to 7 and two to row 8.

That's where I left it today. I wanted to keep going but I knew, if I did, I wouldn't be able to move tomorrow. I should be able to get the top finished tomorrow and I have a fleece already lined up for the backing. Fun times!

I don't know what the weather has in store for us this weekend but all these really heavy hailstone showers and bitterly cold winds are getting a bit old. It's nearly June, for pete's sake! Where is the warm weather?

18 comments:

  1. Now that's what I call a great quilt for "scrap" busting. I have a smalll basket of charm squares going back a "long" time and could make some quick quilts for the children's hospital or something like that. After moving, I realise how much I have and really must use, so am hoping to make lots of charity quilts with a couple of friends. Have a great weekend and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea, Susan. :o)

      Delete
  2. you are very organized writing down everything. Funny thing is I do that with the knitting but not with the quilting? Got my sewing machine back, so need to get on with some sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get annoyed when I go to make a quilt I've made before and I can't remember exactly how I did it. This time I am writing *everything* down so I'll be able to repeat it again and again.

      Delete
  3. Gosh, well done for getting so much done!!!! It will be great I am sure. I like your thinking about the red squares too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. It helped that I had all the pieces already cut out. It would have taken a lot longer if I'd had to cut them all out!! :o)

      Delete
  4. It looks great so far. I really liked seeing your written plan, I try to do the same kind of thing and it's nice to see that I'm not the only one. I've been thinking about making a new quilt lately. Seeing yours makes me feel even more excited. I hope you're having a good weekend, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. It helps me to work things out properly if I have it all written out - and drawn on squared paper too. I sometimes think that planning a quilt is the best part - but then I cut it out and start putting it together and think that's the best part! :oD

      Delete
  5. It's going to be lovely, I can see some wonderful fabric designs already. You're right about the weather, who'd think we were nearly in June? I don't think we've had a wind free day yet this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I'm having fun playing with all these fabrics. It was dry today but, as you say, still windy. At least I got the washing dried! :o)

      Delete
  6. What a happy and colourful blanket this is going to be! As I look out of my window across the fens, there is a massive bank of black clouds coming my way so I think I know what's coming! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chel. We had an okay day yesterday - well, it was dry - but we had rain and wind today. Hopefully, June will be better?

      Delete
  7. I am always impressed by your organised planning. I am guessing that's the teacher in you, lesson planning.
    I am about to cut up my son's old football t-shirts to make a quilt so I will probably be visiting you for tips. The fabric designs for your baby quilt look fab, you always find such wonderful fabric. Have a lovely Sunday.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made a tee-shirt quilt, Ali, but I've seen them on other blogs and they do look amazing. Good luck with that!
      As for organised planning - some of my favouritist (!!) things are bits of squared paper and some coloured pens. :o)

      Delete
  8. Don't worry about the state of your sewing room floor, mine is worse!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hoovered it today - a bit half-heartedly, I must admit - and I don't think it looks much better! LOL

      Delete
  9. So fun Anne! I love seeing your drawings too -- that's the way I plan quilts. And I LOVE your little note at the top "Do this one"!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me some squared paper and some colouring pencils. I could be happy for hours just drawing boxes and colouring them in. Sad but true! LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)