Wednesday, 22 April 2015

what to do when your computer won't work properly

There aren't many things in the news these days that make me burst out laughing but there was this morning. I was reading the BBC news website and came upon the headline "Enraged US man shoots his malfunctioning computer". Pardon? Say that again? "Enraged US man shoots his malfunctioning computer". Okay, tell me more.

A man in the US city of Colorado Springs faces police action after becoming so frustrated with his computer that he took it outside and shot it eight times, police say.

"He was having technology problems, so he took it to the back alley and destroyed it," a police spokesman said.

Lucas Hinch was briefly detained for discharging a firearm within the city.

He did not realise he was breaking the law when he went "Wild West" on his machine, local media reported.

A judge is due to decide what penalty he will receive.

"He got tired of fighting with his computer for the last several months," police spokesman Jeff Strossner told the Colorado Springs Gazette.

The paper said that Mr Hinch "shot the darn thing" when ctrl+alt+delete - the traditional method used to re-boot computers - "consistently did not work" on Monday evening.

"He was able to wreak the kind of revenge most of us only dream about," the paper said.

"The computer is not expected to recover."

Taken from the BBC website here.

20 comments:

  1. i heard that this morning here in Ga. Sometimes you feel just this way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Barbara! We don't have guns here but I've wanted to throw mine out of the window a time or two! :oD

      Delete
  2. That is sooo funny! Despite the severity of discharging a weapon in the city etc etc, one can see his point :-)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep ... it was wrong ... but hilarious! Poor man! :oD

      Delete
  3. I've never been that mad at my computer, but there have been times when I could have blasted my printer into the next dimension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm right there with you, Janet. Never tell your printer you're in a hurry! Wrong paper. Wrong size of paper. Doesn't connect. Prints double-sided when you want single-sided ... or vice versa. Printers can be a real pain in the you-know-what!

      Delete
  4. sometimes I feel like doing the same myself to this blasted machine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I think we've all been there, Gill! :oD

      Delete
  5. I've often felt like throwing mine through the window when it won't do as it's told. Technology is great when it works, a pain in the backside when it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jo. And I don't believe that it's all "human error" either. Sometimes it's the computer's fault!!

      Delete
  6. I saw this article when it first appeared, and like you I laughed pretty hard when I read it. I think we've all wanted to do the same at some point or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I have! Probably just as well we don't have guns here! :oD

      Delete
  7. Hahaha -- and the moral to the story? If you're going to kill your computer, take if outside of the city limits!!! ;-D Thanks for the funny today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yes, that would be a wise move, Anna! :oD

      Delete
  8. I heard Ken Bruce and Lynne Bowles talking about it on Radio 2 this morning. I frequently threaten to throw mine out of the window if it doesn't behave, but now I will have to buy a gun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I've threatened mine a time or two but never thought of killing it! :oD

      Delete
  9. Welcome to America. Something is always getting shot at around here. I've heard of people shooting their TV's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's probably a good thing we don't have guns here. Think of all the computer-cides that would go on! :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)