Tuesday, 14 April 2015

a couple of nighties

I decided I needed to make myself a couple of nighties last week so I dug through my fabrics and just got on with it. This is the pattern I used -

It's from the early 80s. How do I know? Because I used it to make nighties to go into the maternity hospital to have Debbie - she was born in August, 1980!! This pattern is older than either of my girls! My Grandad always used to say, if you kept a thing for 7 years, you'd find a use for it. I wonder what he'd say about keeping a pattern for 35 years? LOL

The first nightie I made out of this stripey cotton. The stripes have been printed squint on the fabric so it wasn't any use to make anything that would be on show so a nightie is ideal. If you look at the green and black stripes at the left of the photo you'll see that, by the time you get to the other side of the nightie, they've moved upwards by about 4". Nobody sees me in my nightie other than Douglas and, as he says, the stripes are so bright, you don't even notice that they're moving upwards! :oD

The second one is in a purpley-flowered polycotton. Much more "suitable" nightie fabric - but not nearly as much fun!

14 comments:

  1. I love them! I should try making nightgowns, it's hard to find good ones in the stores anymore. They think everyone wants to wear pants or boxer shorts to sleep and I definitely do not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, Jennifer. I do have PJs but I much prefer nighties. :o)

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of the stripey one! Much more cheery than a plain colour! Not that the other one isn't lovely too, it is just nice to have a change isn't it. I wonder if nightie fashions have changed much in 35 years, probably not!! Oh and 7 times 5 is 35, so the pattern must be 5 times more than useful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd kept a count of how many nighties I'd made from this pattern over the years. Lots and lots and lots! I think my Grandad would be proud! :oD

      Delete
  3. They're lovely Anne and I love the idea of keeping hold of something for seven years - a great counterbalance to the argument of if you haven't used something for a year you don't need it! I must be surrounded by useful things! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a year is definitely not long enough! LOL

      Delete
  4. Wow, you're going to be all glammed up going to bed. There's so much talk about decluttering these days and living simply but surely living simply means holding on to things so that you don't have to buy it again once you find out that you've decluttered something you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Jo. Patterns these days cost about £6 to £8. I think this one was something like 35p so I am most definitely getting my money's worth out of it!

      Delete
  5. Love the stripey one especially - it makes it unique! And those are wise words from your Grandad :-)
    Sweet dreams....
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the stripey one - I tend to buy whatever nighties are reduced in Sainsbury's!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when they're reduced in the shops, they cost too much. Ahh, there's my Scottish "thriftiness" speaking again! :oD

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)