Wednesday, 11 March 2015

things I've learned - or relearned - this week

1. I don't enjoy sorting patchwork bedspreads. I'd much rather make a new one from scratch. This is why procrastination is the name of the game as far as mending Debbie's bedspread is concerned. I have now sewn the 19 blocks I need to make but the enthusiasm to sew them back together has waned for now.

2. If you make trousers which are 1" too short and you've only done a 1" hem, they are *not* sortable. No matter what you do, they will never be long enough! You will need to go and buy more fabric and start from the beginning again - making sure to lengthen the pattern. Why I cut 3" off the pattern pieces instead of 2" is beyond me! What a numpty!!

3. When you make the new pair of trousers (with longer legs!!), press the creases in before you sew the fronts to the backs. It's much easier to get the creases exactly where they should be! I'd forgotten about this and don't know what reminded me about it but, boy, I was chuffed to remember it! It's a much less fiddly way of getting the creases pressed! In case you want to try it, fold your trouser piece with WRONG sides together lining up the side seam and inside seam edges. Press the creases in. Repeat for both front pieces and both back pieces.

4. When you decide to clean the fluff out of your overlocker, you must NOT think "I wonder what will happen if I unscrew these screws?". Instead of a 10 minute job, it took fully 2 hours to get the machine back together and working properly. At one point both Douglas and I were both holding screwdrivers puzzling out what part fell out when that screw was unscrewed and where it went back in. Learn from this. Do NOT remove screws if you don't know what they're for!

5. The best thing I learned this week was, if you really take your time with something - no matter how much you want to rush to finish it - it will turn out fabulously. Case in point, my new brown/pink floral needlecord Archer shirt.

Aren't the buttons fab? They match the colour of the flowers perfectly!

I love it!

14 comments:

  1. There's always something to learn, isn't there? The new shirt is lovely, and the buttons are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shirt, and thank you for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gill - and you're welcome! :o)

      Delete
  3. This shirt is beautiful! See, it must have made everything else better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. It certainly turned my week around! :o)

      Delete
  4. Your new shirt is fabulous!!! I love the little buttons too! A great tip that I learned when taking something apart is to photograph it before and during you taking it to bits and then you can look back and see what goes where if you need to and then you can just delete the pictures afterwards! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about doing that, Amy, but I decided that I would put all the new blocks around the outside and move the (mostly) undamaged ones from the sides into the centre. If that turns out to be a pain in the neck, I might just put it together any old how to have done with it! :oD

      Delete
  5. Also, if your overlocker needs cleaning - don't think "I can just blow the bits out instead of getting vacuum & fiddly attachments" - fabric particles everywhere, including up my nose!!

    Love the shirt too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've done that before too. And I seem to remember I was wearing a light-coloured cardigan and the fluff out of the overlocker stuck to it! It looked like my stuffing had come out! LOL

      Delete
  6. A good collection of tips! Love the new shirt and the buttons are sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OHMYGOSH Anne -- I'm hyperventilating over here. I LOVE that shirt. I LOVE LOVE LOVE corduroy and that little print is just adorable. I have a hard time finding corduroy prints here that I like -- most of our better fabric stores have gone out of business. And what a fantastic tip about the creases in pants -- I always struggle to iron them in after the pants are sewn together -- and they're never in just the right place!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I bought the needlecord on eBay because, guess what, my local shop didn't have any. Maybe the dot com version of eBay will have some too?

      I remembered my mum showing me that trick with trouser pleats years ago. It is sooooo much easier pressing them in then than at the end when all they want to do is fall off the ironing board!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)