Monday, 23 March 2015

the bedspread - done - and lots of bags

Last week, I decided that Debbie's bedspread had sat around glaring at me for long enough so I made myself deal with it just to get it done. As Debbie had said I could just put together the blocks I had (without adding in the 19 new ones I'd already made!!), that's exactly what I did. The resulting bedspread is now 7 blocks by 6 blocks instead of 9 by 8. That makes the bedspread 84" by 72" - still plenty big enough to fit on top of a bed, in my opinion.

Instead of sewing the top to the backing around the edges with right sides together and turning it all through, I decided to sew them wrong sides together - as if they were quilted - and then add a binding around the outside. The rusty colour is the original backing which I was able to use and I used one of my stripey bindings. I must admit, the sewing isn't exactly perfect - I probably should/could have used rusty coloured thread but, by this point, all I wanted was to get it finished so I just used the cream thread that was already in the machine and sewed it up.

And here it is all folded up and ready to go back to Debbie.

I will be telling her in no uncertain terms that I will NOT be fixing this again. If it falls apart again, that's it. Sort it yourself or throw it away!! :oP

After the bedspread was done, I decided to investigate the crate which had some bags in it ready to be sewn. 14 bags to be precise. The first 2 didn't take much time at all.

The last 12 only seemed to take forever because I did them all at once, production line style. I've only got threads to snip on these ones and then they'll all need a good press before I take photos of them and list them in my Etsy shop.

This sight made me very happy at the end of today's sewing. An empty crate! Wheeeeee!

10 comments:

  1. Well done Anne on completing some unfinished tasks - trouble is now you have some new blocks sat around! The bags are lovely; how do you decide what goes to the etsy shop and what goes to Debbie's shop to sell??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Those 19 blocks are now going to be glaring at me! :oO As for deciding who gets what - we just split things pretty evenly. :o)

      Delete
  2. I could do with you sorting my quilt too, please!! (Kidding!) It looks great, though.

    An empty crate gives you that same feeling as an empty ironing pile or a sink empty of dishes. Funnily enough it's the exact opposite feeling of an empty purse!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL You are right - an empty purse is not a good feeling!

      Delete
  3. I bet it feels good to get the bedspread done and dusted, it looks fab and should give Debbie many more years of use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel good, Jo. I am so glad to have it finished. Onwards and upwards! :o)

      Delete
  4. Yay for finished things!!!! It is so good to get jobs done isn't it. The bags look great and so does the quilt! I hope that it doesn't need any more attention for quite some time! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it does, she can do it herself! No more sorting for me. Hopefully! :o)

      Delete
  5. Doesn't it feel good when you finish a task that you don't like! Love the bags - I have a project box with patterns and fabrics to make bags ...... one of these days it will reach the top of the pile!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should know not to put off the things I don't want to do. It feels sooooo good when you've done them.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)